Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral stairs!?

All of my Spiral Stairs are done as Symbols. I have a variety of component pieces that I use to build up a spiral of any height. This includes treads, posts, caps, balusters, and rails. Each component can be a different material and can be sized to fit the requirements of the job. Generally to meet code the Spiral Diameter needs to be at least 6' but for some applications a smaller stair can be used.

I can do any handrail shape. In fact, I can do any configuration of components you want.

In the case of the stair in the A-Frame house I used curved glass (plexiglas) panels but they could have been mesh.

In each case I design the symbol so that it will work within a range of floor heights and meet code. Typically that range is about 1/4" (+/-) per riser to accommodate small construction variances.

Sorry, no video from me. I will do a custom spiral stair symbol for you for $100 - but I'm not going to teach you how to do it.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Here's one for Scott while he's down-under:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Australian Spiral Stairway.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	57641  
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

"Sorry, no video from me. I will do a custom spiral stair symbol for you for $100 - but I'm not going to teach you how to do it. "

Joe,

I was not asking you necessarily but thought maybe Scott. I have no need for one at the moment but I will keep your offer in mind should I need one and am not able to do it myself.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Boy, that's a video I would like to see from Scott. I'm sure it would be hilarious!
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Boy, that's a video I would like to see from Scott. I'm sure it would be hilarious!
    The stair pictures already have me dizzy. Anyone have any Dramamine?
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForceŽ GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, "Sun" Solar System, 22556

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    video please.......
    denis, i have this simple steps for you, no assembly plant needed! just create the rails separately by using a circular stair with a very small width to represent the railing edge of the spiral stair. Then the second step is to make a thread and rotate it with angle and z replicate and raise the height.
    This two steps r applied for the most complicated ones.
    Scotttt the ordinarry ss r very simple and automatic in stair tool, just make some tweaks there and post the videos. People r waiting,
    This method may be easy for you than your frnds assembing parts one by one.
    ok joe, do you do this way as i explained........know you c my method beats yours. there is a lot more power in ca than normally understood!
    i can assure you.

Name:	sp.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	57645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spp.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	57646  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Yusuf,

Ah, circular wall. You know I think I remember that from the past but I have never needed to do a circular stair so as the saying goes, "use it or lose it"! Thanks for the explanation.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    ok joe, do you do this way as i explained........know you c my method beats yours. there is a lot more power in ca than normally understood!
    i can assure you.
    Yusuf,

Your railing method works for some cases. However, I find that there are many specialized railing designs that simply can't be modeled that way. Landings are another part of spiral stairs and Chief just doesn't get them right. As you may or may not know a spiral stair tread may need a closed or partial closed riser to meet code. That's another custom tread.

To make it simpler for you to understand my method:

I basically construct the first tread, ballusters and railings by putting component pieces together. Note that each component starts as a symbol with a unique named material - that allows customized finishes for everything.

Once I have that construct located with a center pole I rotate it and increment the height - similar to your method. I then add the landing and any landing railings.
    The biggest difference between your method and mine is that I have 100% control of materials and much more flexibility in the railing design. Both your and my stairs can be turned into symbols and can be adjusted in height as well as diameter. OTOH, you have very little flexibility in the railing design - simply because Chief limits you.
    Windows 8.1

Wink

I am curios what Joe would charge for a spiral like this?

Name:	Spiral Stair.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	57660  

Spencer,

That's pretty cool. OTOH, I think it's probably easier to do in Chief than the kind I do - but very difficult to build. I think I saw one like that in a famous church in Santa Fe, New Mexico that was built by a wandering carpenter. IAE, I'll leave that kind of stair to Spencer - nice job!
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Spencer,

That's pretty cool. OTOH, I think it's probably easier to do in Chief than the kind I do - but very difficult to build. I think I saw one like that in a famous church in Santa Fe, New Mexico that was built by a wandering carpenter. IAE, I'll leave that kind of stair to Spencer - nice job!
    It is in the Loretto Chapel. Double helix with no central post. It is probably difficult to design it in Chief but certainly very challenging to build.
    The carpenter had learned his trade from the "Companion of the Tour de France" wihich is an organization that will teach carpentry (or other trade) to young people in the traditional art of carpentry. Even to this day many young people join the group to learn the trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretto_Chapel

Francois
    X4

Nice job Sam

And as far as the Loretto Chapel, what can you say...........
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Sam,
    You beat me to it. I was just putzing around w/ that stairway yesterday, trying to locate all the materials for it; in preparation for a post to Chieftalk touting your skills.
    All the design, geometry & treads were done in Chief. I gave Sam & picture & he took it from there & made it happen. As I remember, the trickiest part was getting all the different wood grain directions correct. Beautiful!
    That was a few yrs ago, eh Sam?
    Last edited by ebdesign; 02-15-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

The biggest difference between your method and mine is that I have 100% control of materials and much more flexibility in the railingdesign. Both your and my stairs can be turned into symbols and can be adjusted in height as well as diameter. OTOH, you have very little flexibility in the railing design - simply because Chief limits you.
    -----------------
    i disagree my frnd
    I have 99.9% controll without symbol involvement. sure a lot more power in chief.

Name:	s.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	57669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w thread.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	57670  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Joe's method is better, in my eye's, because it represents what the actual stairs look like in real life. Your method would be fine if accuracy is not a concern
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor