odd CA licensing question

I installed CA on my sony VAIO laptop..its not running the best so I decided to install CA on my iMac using parallels...everything went fine, I deactivated on my sony and activated on the iMac no probs. However, it turns out that CA didnt work so well on parallels ie. render views weren't working at all (black screen), dbx windows didn't show previews (just a black box), generally, not useable at all so I decided to setup bootcamp and install windows 7 as a partitioned install.
    I'm just about ready to re install CA on my new partition and my question is this;
    Will CA recognise the partitioned install AND the parallels installed version as being two separate installs and will I need to boot up in mac running parallels and deactivate in order to activate on the bootcamp partitioned install?

edit: additionally, I would love to have CA on my laptop and on my iMac so I can take my Laptop out and about with me and use both computers but I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with licensing. I keep my files on dropbox so accessing them would be fine.
    Dave
    Chief X5

Dave:

I'm not sure about running Chief on both partitions

I haven't seen that question before

try it and find out ???

you can have Chief installed on as many computers as desired
    but should only be running one at a time

usually this requires deactivating/activating the license

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

thanks Lew, the deactivating/ activating is that a quick process?
    Dave
    Chief X5

Quote Originally Posted by function9 View Post
    Will CA recognise the partitioned install AND the parallels installed version as being two separate installs and will I need to boot up in mac running parallels and deactivate in order to activate on the bootcamp partitioned install?
    Not sure why you wouldn't just deactivate the license on Parallels and not worry about it. You have nothing to gain, and perhaps a little frustration if you loose. But, it's your time. What is it worth to you.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Dave, yeah I might do that... its been alot of frustration & I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get it to work.. I've tried all morning to download the
    Windows Support Software via bootcamp assistant with no luck. If I can't get the drivers for the iMac (can't find my original CD) I cannot setup the PC boot
    I use the iMac for other stuff so I may just go and get a good PC setup dedicated for CA.
    Dave
    Chief X5

Dave:

I think it requires a few steps - probably not too bad
    IF you only have to do it occasionaly

but on a day to day basis ???

I prefer the hardware lock
    but I'm not sure if the hardware lock would work on a Mac

best to discuss with CA's tech support on Monday

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by function9 View Post
    Dave, yeah I might do that... its been alot of frustration & I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get it to work.. I've tried all morning to download the
    Windows Support Software via bootcamp assistant with no luck. If I can't get the drivers for the iMac (can't find my original CD) I cannot setup the PC boot
    I use the iMac for other stuff so I may just go and get a good PC setup dedicated for CA.
    Dave, just wanted to be clear that I was not poo-pooing using Chief on Mac via Bootcamp. It is the suggested way. I was saying that if you plan to do that, deactivate the license from the Parallel install first, thats all.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    Dave, just wanted to be clear that I was not poo-pooing using Chief on Mac via Bootcamp. It is the suggested way. I was saying that if you plan to do that, deactivate the license from the Parallel install first, thats all.
    Dave, thats alright I knew Bootcamp was preferred way to go but I purchased Parallels for a few other reasons
    Anyways, good news I eventually got the windows support files, apparently it can be a drama to download them but I got there I still have Parallels working on the mac boot and I got CA setup and working on the PC boot(still got to setup mouse etc) ...the Mac only has 4Gb ram but its a big step up from 2.

EDIT: FYI I did have to deactivate the Parallels install to get bootcamp to work
    Dave
    Chief X5

Good to hear, Dave.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram