Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Yes, I will attest to the fact Chief was the better choice by far.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2Learn View Post
    So Revit Lt (which includes support and the rendering "cloud" free the first year) is half the cost of Chief x5!!
    "Cost" is a flexible concept. There are many costs besides the initial buy-in, and transferability may be an issue.

For example, once you you "buy" Revit LT, can you transfer it to someone else? (I doubt it. But with Chief, you can.) Then, there is the subscription issue. Autodesk had a policy that if you were not on subscription for a period of three years, you had to buy-in again at full cost if you wanted to upgrade. What is the policy for Revit LT? Do you need a subscription, too?

Then there is the learning cost. If it takes twice as long to get up to full speed, Revit LT suddenly becomes pretty expensive. I can't say what the relative learning costs are, but at least with Chief you get access to "free" training videos as part of SSA.

So before you get too excited by the apparent sticker price, it's worth checking into some of the ancillary costs.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

The Advantage of Revit for autocad users is that it comes from the same stable so they should work well together and that is one good way to lure in potential clients along with LT versions. I even saw that Autodesk are offering Revit LT with Autocad LT for $1500 US. They keep dangling the carrots and so if you are a donkey about it, you might end up with lots of learning costs as Richard has indicated and rendering costs etc and other program limitations you just do not need. I am very glad I have CA in my tool box one of the most fast complete home building pakages on the market. Yes they can improve it and will do so over time.
    Last edited by Justice; 02-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    The Advantage of Revit for autocad users is that it comes from the same stable so they should work well together and that is one good way to lure in potential clients along with LT versions. I even saw that Autodesk are offering Revit LT with Autocad LT for $1500 US. They keep dangling the carrots and so if you are a donkey about it, you might end up with lots of learning costs as Richard has indicated and rendering costs etc and other program limitations you just do not need. I am very glad I have CA in my tool box one of the most fast complete home building pakages on the market. Yes they can improve it and will do so over time.
    No, Autocad and Revit do not play well together. They work no better than Chief and Autocad. They have all sorts of import/ export issues. In fact, most Revit resellers will advise you to get rid of autocad and just learn a "better" way (meaning the 3d of Revit). Lots of things not being said with these programs all around. It all really comes down to what your primary market is and what you want to offer. If the decision is mainly based upon upfront costs then, as Richard stated so well previously, you aren't looking at the whole picture.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

I think Chief offers a payment plan for the purchase FYI, where you can break up the purchase over a few months. You should check that out, I am not sure how many months they let you span, but you can ask.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I think Chief offers a payment plan for the purchase FYI, where you can break up the purchase over a few months.

Johnny:

I have never heard of this

if so, it is a change in policy
    years ago CA's response to this was "use a credit card - we are not a finance company"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Softplan offers a payment plan.
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Hi Gary,
    Do you mean you can't export a 3d DWF file from AutoCAD full into Revit, if so the BIM is Botched?

I know they don't play well together if you don't send the right year version of the AutoCAD dwg file.

Thank's to Chief we do have the ability to export and import different year dwg files if we keep SSA up to date.

Even if they tell you to get rid of AutoCAD they will still give you a rebate for it to get Revit Full.

Revit appears to be a very good product to me but not quite as good as ArchiCAD when it comes to radical Architectural Design.

Chief is better value than Revit hands down for run of the mill housing that does not get too fancy.

Cornering the market with an array of integrated products like Autodesk does, should make file translation between the AEC fields simpler?

Those that have the whole picture, would be proficient in using all these high performance programs.

I think it might be good to move this thread to the chat room, Asta La Vista Chieftains!
    Last edited by Justice; 02-21-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

There is a Finance plan for new licenses. The plan consists of an initial payment and 3 subsequent payments made by credit card. The software is delivered up front and the finance period is a total of 4 months. Feel free to call sales for more details at 800-482-4433.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    I think Chief offers a payment plan for the purchase FYI, where you can break up the purchase over a few months.

Johnny:

I have never heard of this

if so, it is a change in policy
    years ago CA's response to this was "use a credit card - we are not a finance company"

Lew

Hi Gary,
    Do you mean you can't export a 3d DWF file from AutoCAD full into Revit, if so the BIM is Botched?
    I know they don't play well together if you don't send the right year version of the AutoCAD dwg file.
    Yes, the BIM is messed up. There is no direct, full translation between the products. Remember that Revit started out as an independent company's program. As it kept getting better Autodesk swooped in and bought it up so the programming language underneath Revit is vastly different than Autocad and therein lies the challenge for them. Also, just like Chief, Revit is not backwards compatible with previous versions.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Chief is better value than Revit hands down for run of the mill housing that does not get too fancy.
    Its funny, I find Chief to be better even than Revit on the more complex traditional homes (aka "fancy"). I think Revit is better at ultra modern homes that look more like commercial structures - which many architects gravitate to. I think Chief could do better with some commercial design elements, but I find too that you can model custom items in other apps (Sketchup ie) and CA does a great job with this.

Revit and Archicad are more refined products - but CA does more things simply, and easier. In the end what the product did was more important than "how it looked while it did it". I am sure CA is going to update their UI soon and move to BIM.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

I am sure CA is going to update their UI soon and move to BIM

Johnny:

I wouldn't bet on the BIM

CA so far has shown little interest in "industry" BIM
    and seems to be "anti-BIM"

I do hope that changes.....

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

You are so right

[QUOTE=Derek Pedersen;465506]... It's difficult to compare software on a feature by feature basis in a simple list. You might find a feature listed in both but find that they are handled in much different ways or run into more limitations in one vs. another. I would recommend downloading the Chief Architect Free Trial and get a hands-on feel for how Chief Architect works if you have not already.

Yes, I totally agree about not being able to really compare just on feature by feature list. I know that there are manythings you might not think about until you start using something...which is why I am so glad I asked here. You all are mentioning things that are very helpful to know. It is sounding more and more like I should go with Chief if I want to primarily do residential design (which I do.) I was just playing around with the free trial of Chief again today and I am hoping that the real version isn't as quirky. (Maybe it is my less-than optimum speed computer?) I just had the whole thing crash and lots several hours worth of plan layout. That is a big problem with the trial version--it is hard to get beyond the basics since you can't save files, so you have to start over everytime you want to play around with the program. I have yet to try out how the roof designer works, since I never have time to get that far! This is very frustrating.

How about this suggestion, Chief marketing people: let people have a free download that lets you save files--but perhaps only for a limited time--like 14-30 days or so. That way we can really test the program out without having to start from scratch, laying out walls, etc. everytime we sit down to play with it!!! Also, because I feel so rushed everytime I sit down to play with the free trial, I don't want to take to much time to try and figure out how to do something--I assume others in the same situation feel the same--so I might inadvertantly come to the conclusion that the program can't do something that it really can, or whatever. Just a thought.
    Thanks everyone.

I am hoping that the real version isn't as quirky.

they are the same version

only one or two "cripples" such as not being able to save

the only way to "save" is to not turn off your PC

CA use to have a 90 day money back
    then it was changed to a 30 day money back

contact sales to see what the details are

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

The roof design is very very good and easy to use!
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.