lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Arched window lintel

Looking for suggestions on how to make a window with a arched lintel to be used on a brick veneered wall as shown in attachment. I did find a old thread on this subject when I did a search, but I didn't understand the solution. As always all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	790 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	57754  
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Hey Larry, I'm using x4 but here's what I did recently (it's not the best work-around but it got the job done for my purposes). See attached image. I just copied the lower window and dragged it vertically and changed it in the dbx (stacking) to level 1. In elevation-camera view, I then made it fixed glass, broken arch and adjusted the arch legs to make it look ok. I gave it an 8" curved lintel with no wrap and could have changed the glass material to the appropriate paint color(white in my instance) to simulate painted wood.

I didn't bother to reassign the lintel material as brick because I wasn't into screwing with brick pattern. It would be easier to do as other I've seen and create 3d polylines on the face of the wall and convert them to polyline solids and give them a texture that looks like brick (without the mortar joints- it would be nice if Chief had a brick texture, wood texture etc that was just generic-maybe I'm missing it). I finally blocked the upper and lower windows to finish the look.-Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Follow Up with missing Image Attachment

Sorry Larry,
    somehow I did a "Quick Reply" which didn't give me the option to attach and image. Here's the related image that I described.-Brad

Name:	Curved Lintel-workaround.PNG 
Views:	426 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	57763  
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

I placed a broken arched window on top of the double casement. Added a slab over the broken arch to hide the arched window. Then added a moulding polyline for the arched brick lintel.
    This can be created and turned into a symbol, Joe would have a better handle on this.

Name:	Arched brick lintel.jpg 
Views:	1212 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	57765  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Quote Originally Posted by kenoeightspot View Post
    I placed a broken arched window on top of the double casement. Added a slab over the broken arch to hide the arched window. Then added a moulding polyline for the arched brick lintel.
    This can be created and turned into a symbol, Joe would have a better handle on this.
    Interesting, I believe Bill is using a 2D molding to create the BRICK LINTEL, quick and down and dirty and it works. I believe Alan Brown has a video that explains how to do it with a 3D molding (a little bit more realistic), pick your poison.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

The Brick lintel is a 3D Moulding polyline, first attempt.
    I will look at the video.

Name:	Brick lintel 2.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	57766  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Quote Originally Posted by kenoeightspot View Post
    Scott,

The Brick lintel is a 3D Moulding polyline, first attempt.
    I will look at the video.
    My mistake, your lintel looks great, or should I say good enough for me. Alan Brown does have a different take on it whereas he uses a SYMBOL attached to the 3D molding............. if I am not mistaken.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I've been working with the suggestions given and these are the problems I'm encountering. Looking at the exterior view of the two windows----The one on the left I made the arched blue area from a window and added a 3D molding for my brick arch. The problem with this version is that I don't want the top window to show on the inside wall. (second attachment of the interior). On the right window I made a symbol of an arched lintel and added it as an exterior capital under the "Treatments Tab" and then added the brick header as a 3D molding. This gave me the correct look on the interior, but on the exterior the the "capital treatment" is on the face of the brick instead of back with the window. What I'm after is to have just the regular casement show on the inside (as in the attachment of the interior) and have the blue treatment, above the window on the exterior back against the sheeting as shown in the picture of thread #1. Is this possible? What I thought would be a simple feature is proving to be a real PITA for me. Please tell me I'm missing something real basic in what I'm doing. Also, one other question. On the brick arch. Is there anyway to adjust the brick so you don't have thin slivers of brick at each side?

Name:	TREATMENTS EXT..JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	57772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TREATMENTS INT..JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	57773  
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

I think I found a solution for what it is worth. The window on the right was the look I was after. Both windows only show the regular rectangular window on the inside wall.

Above the left window I made the blue p-solid symbol, labeled it as "millwork". I gave it stretch points so as it was made wider or narrow only the radius of the arch would change. I placed it on the window under the "Treatments Tab" as a exterior capital. As a "capital" it would stretch as the window's width would change (positive). The problem with using it as a "capital" is it attaches to the surface of the brick and I see no way of adjusting the placement to the back against the sheeting.

I took the same blue p-solid and made another symbol, but this time labeled it as a "molding". I then attached it to the window as a lintel. This placed the symbol back against the sheeting for the look I was after. The negative to doing it this way is that when the window width is change you need to make a new sized molding symbol for the new width. In both windows the brick arch is a 3D molding placed "after the fact".

The ideal solution (and what I wanted to do) was to figure a way to have the symbol back against the sheeting AND have it stretch as the window changes in width. If anyone has that solution PLEASE chime in. Thank you all for your time and advice given on this thread and have a great day.

Name:	EXT TREAMENTS 2.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	57781  
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Not a solution, but something to play with......The below jpg shows using a millwork symbol consisting of the brick arch, lintel, and the interior material. The symbol's origin is adjusted so it will recess into the wall above the window. A pass thru window is placed above the bottom window, so it will cut the brick. This symbol is added in the window spec dbx, via the Treatment tab (Capital). The height & width of the capital will need to be adjusted as well......It can be blocked and moved as one unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W-1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	57796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W-2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	57797
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory