Live comments in schedules

Might be something basic I'm missing, but...

Is there a way I can keep my cabinet schedule live and have a comment in the comment box??

I don't use schedules all that often, but to date I've usually just taken the plans as close to completion as possible before changing the schedule to text so that I can add comments. It seems there should be a way to attach a comment to a particular cabinet so that I can keep the schedule live. What am I missing??

Edit: Another thing... I don't remember this happening in previous versions, but when I change the schedule to text, the cabinet labels revert from C labels I want (C01, C02, etc.) to cabinet labels (3DB24, B24, W2436, etc.). What am I doing wrong??
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Michael,

The labels are controlled by the schedule.
    When you delete the schedule or convert it to text (same as deleting), the schedue no longer controls the label. The label is then controlled by the cabinets Label tab settings.

I don't full understand your probem with the comments.
    You create the comments in the Comments column of the Components dbx for the cabinet.
    You can open the Components dbx for a cabinet by selectng the cabinet and then seectng the Components icon (looks like a page) from the Edit toolbar. You may need to scroll across until you see the Comments column
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Michael:

You can click on the cabinet > click on the Components tool in the edit tool bar > find the row with your cabinet listed and select the comments cell in that row and type in your comment for that cabinet. That is one method that works live.

It would be nice if you could do it in Chief's schedule but when you convert it to text, the columns are all messed up for alignment as you've probably noticed. I don't mess with schedules this way as it is too frustrating to try and get the results I want. At least that has been my experience in the past.

Another option would be sending the schedule to a spreadsheet where you could do all your commenting on one page. I suppose you would want to do this when you are sure there will be no changes in the cabinets. With a spreadsheet, it is nice that you can vary the text styles and heights fairly easily to get a nice look to your schedule. I haven't done this but have been considering it. Perhaps someone else who spends more time on their schedules will have some better suggestions.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thank you Glenn and Curtis!! I knew there had to be a way. Comments via the components DBX is exactly what I was looking for.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

The schedules are fully customizable you can add column's and rows with user input, and keep it live, but it is a lot of work. There are threads about this on this forum with video's showing how to do it. It can be done.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

Can you share how you do your schedules (and post an example), assuming that you do some personal customization vs using the out-of-the-box schedules Chief generates? Thanks.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I don't personally customize the schedules in such detail but Scott did a lot of video's on this. Check "chieftutor.com" for sched. video's.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor