Thread: Crashes

Crashes

I'm experiancing continual crashes in my program. Many things seem to be causing it but mostly 3D editing & cross sections w/ everything turned on. I'm using win95, a Savage blaster 32MB card, 266 p2, & 128MB of ram. Is anybody experiancing similar problems?

Dennis

You didn't mention what version of CA that is giving the problem.

I had a few crashes in CA 97, but 6.0 has been very stable for me. I am working with Windows 98. I also upgraded my hard drive complete with new install of OS before I installed 6.0 (By coincidence not by design.

I think most users of 6.0 have noticed a big improvement in stability.

Mac

I had severe crash problems with CA97 until someone at ART finally told me of an instability problem with 32 bit color. I select downward from 32 bit to use 16 bit color and all crash problems stopped immediately, and I did not notice any degrading of my output. I have returned to 32 bit color on V. 6.0 and have had no problems.

Don is offline Registered User Promoted
    I have had crashing experiences similar to Dennis. I would like to experiment with the color options described above. I would appreciate more detail regarding how to determine whether I'm using 16, 24 or 32 bit color. Are the settings in the display driver? I don't see them.

Don Nicoll

I've had a few. My biggest problem is "Dialogue Boxes" not appearing. I thought this was a crash problem, but found that if I crlt-alt-del & then click cancel they appear. I have had a few crashes adn whe it does Chief comes back up and lists plans that I had closed hours ago. I wondering if they are really getting closed or just hanging in the background(and maybe causing the crashes.

Don,
    My video card software produces an icon on the Task Bar that allows me to choose 8,16, or 32 bit color and the resolution from 600x480 to 1600x1200 at any of those color settings. If you don't have the icon, I'm sure you could reach it thru the Control Panel option, etc.

To get the tray icon that Kenxx refers to, follow Dean's instructions to settings tab. Check the box beside "Show settings icon on task bar" Click OK when you first use this to change your resolutions you may get a message about rebooting, just tell it to change it w/o rebooting. This feature was in Tweak in W95 but is standard in w98. When using the QuickRes feature your destop icons can get piled up on one another. I use a freeware utility calle WinTidy from PC Mag to automatically straighten the icons out. It's available here: http://www6.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/...l?fcode=000OCS

[This message has been edited by Tim O'Donnell (edited 10 September 1999).]

I an running the latest version of Win 98/service pack one and other refinements available from "Windows Update" on line. I rarely use V5 except for first, in the field schetches when I forget my dongle, my V5 is patched up to the latest one as is my V6. I have occasional crashes in both but I have trained myself to constantly bash the "F3" key so little is lost but time. If you are experiencing more than usual crashes I would follow the advices of the other posters. You, your hardware, software, your project and the level of responcibility you have taken (or not) for a working knowledge of all of those are the main sources of trouble not to say the V6 is perfect, it is not. Part of any lasting solution is what you know and what you can do to solve the problems you are confronted with. Next to that are your Chief forums where I have learned much.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter