Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X2 lost after X5 update

I installed the latest X5 update this morning and am now unable to open X2. I have a number of projects open with clients using X2 and need to continue; has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a solution? Any help would be appreciated.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.
    sstuart@blackdogbuilders.com
    V10.08, X1, X2 current, X3.3.2.20, X4 current, X5 current

"We wouldn't worry so much about what people think of us if we realized how little they do." credited to Oscar Wilde

Different Hardware Lock.....
    Different Software License Password.....

You might need to contact support.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Not sure why all of my versions would work this morning before the update and not after. My license is the same for all versions (I realize the license is only for one seat) and my X4 version will still open. You're right, I probably need support but thought I would try here first. Thanks Joe.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

"We wouldn't worry so much about what people think of us if we realized how little they do." credited to Oscar Wilde

My experience is that each version of Chief has a different Software License Password. Maybe it was different in the past, but in order to run different versions I have to keep the passwords separate.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

You need to call tech support.

As far as I know, installing the latest update for X5, assuming that you have already been using X5, should have no affect on any older versions of Chief that you may have installed on the same machine. The only case that I have ever heard of where there was a problem had to do with installing the latest hardware lock drivers giving you problems with older versions.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I have never had to use a password when I open any version before? I click on my desktop icon and the program opens. Forgive my ignorance but when are you using the password?
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

Thanks Dermot, I'll connect with support.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

I must assume then that you've been using the hardware lock.

With the software lock if you deactivate then you have to enter the password next time you activate. Of course Chief remembers the password so you don't actually have to enter it.
    Windows 8.1

All versions are on the same machine so I don't deactivate between between versions.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

OK, so what probably happened is that X2 somehow got deactivated during the update to X5. When you went back to start X2 it didn't have the correct password (may have none or it may have the X5 password) so it can't be started. You need your X2 password.

I keep a copy of each version password in a folder so I can copy and paste it when needed.
    Windows 8.1

Is that the serial number, CD key, or Transfer password?
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

Also, I can't get X2 to respond at all when I hit the icon so I don't have an opportunity to input a password.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.

It should be the CD Key.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Also, I can't get X2 to respond at all when I hit the icon so I don't have an opportunity to input a password.
    Did you check the Icon's Properties and verify that the application is where it's supposed to be?

Another possibility is that it's already running but not responding. Use the Windows TaskMgr to check both in the Application Tab and in the Processes Tab. If it's there - just click on it and "End Task/Process".
    Windows 8.1

I get a window asking if I want to update the current version when I try to open X2; when I answer no I get a quick flash of the program opening which then disappears and then nothing. I appreciate you trying to help out with this Joe but don't spend too much time responding. As Dermot suggested, I'll probably need to contact support, although that will have to wait until Monday. Have a great weekend.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.