Hybrid View

Multi Floor Roof Plan, Anno Sets and MRLS

I have been playing around with anno & layer sets and MRLS for the first time and watching Scott's videos and theres a lot I don't know...
    The first image is a 2nd floor roof and evrything is shown correctly where the outside edge of the roof is a solid line, the outside of wall lines (roof overhang area) are dashed, and the valley is shown and shown with a with a solid line.
    In the process of adding the first floor roof as in the second image sevral things occur that I would like to see differently:
    1- What is a good way to stop the first floor roof lines at the edge of the 2nd floor roof gutter so the 1st floor roof isn't seen under the second floor roof? Would prefer not to make CAD detail. 2- The Roof Overhang Area linetype is set to dashed so that the outside of wall has a dashed line. How can the outside edge of the first floor roof be made to look solid? Or is there a better way to generate a dashed line at the outside of the wall, so the 1st floor roof edge can look solid
    3- No valley line shows up on the garage roof when the plan is open to the 2nd floor and no valley line shows up on the second floor when the plan is open to the first floor? Any idea why? Notice it is missing on garage roof here
    4 Where the first floor roof intersects the outside of second floor wall dashed lines there are solid lines that dominate the dashed lines. How would you correct that?
    I imagine some of this will be resolved by understanding MRLS better, but I'm not there yet
    Thank you
    Jim McCall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ND FLOOR ROOF.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	57143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ST & 2ND FL ROOF.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	57144  
    Jim McCall X5
    www.design-vision.com

Jim,
    I have not figured out a way to properly deal w/ these roof plan issues by using reference sets. I've tried changing the drawing order in the Display Options, adding fill to the upper roof plans, move to front, drawing "white" lines over the lines I don't want to see, etc; nothing gives me what I need w/out a lot of extra work.
    A Top Orthographic Full Overview will hide lower roof plane lines, but you can't add any CAD to the view. (I usually will use that view type & do "CAD Detail from View".)
    For these reasons & others, I do the "final" roof plan in a CAD Detail unless the roofs are all on one floor. Copy/Paste/Hold Position eases a lot of the pain.
    Maybe somebody else has figured it out.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Using a view from the 2nd flr, I just make the 2nd flr roof planes a solid line and the 1st floor roof planes dotted but that's only 1 way. You can also make the roof planes on the 2nd floor have a solid/ background fill so you can't see through them. Just a couple of ways but there are more.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Jim
    Thank you - that is what I am seeing too - will probably end up in CAD mode

Perry
    I guess I need to make seperate MRLS's for every occurance such as 1- Full Roof Plan with lighter lines on 1st floor roof and 2- 2nd floor plan with 1st floor roof showing etc. The fill idea sounds great but I have the upper roof planes filled solid white but it has no effect except inside the wall line- can still see the lower roof through the overhang area. Not sure why.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Jim McCall X5
    www.design-vision.com

Jim, yes, a unique annoset and layerset for every reference view you need is what I do.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor