Thread: Rocks???

Rocks???

Does anyone have any realistic rocks that can be placed in the landscape? Ive been going through chiefs library but cant seem to find any. I was looking for some that I could resize and place in various spaces in the garden. I cant think of one thing chiefs library doesnt have, until I started looking for rocks, perhaps Im looking in the wrong areas?? To clarify Im looking for stand alone actual large landscape rocks, not textures with rocks in them, like the ones featured in the landscaping section of the library.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

There are some in the Sketchup warehouse
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Mark Brehaut , Manager
    3D Virtual House Architectural Visualization
    Chief X5
    cinema 4d 14
    Vray for cimema 4d

Or...go with Mark's idea. His is better than mine
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Thanks guys, great idea!
    Chad Cardin

Chad,

Did you look in Core Catalogs...Exteriors..Landscaping...Rocks and Stones?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glen!

Thanks so much for that post! I dont mind looking elsewhere for stuff but if its in chief its better! Yes, I just looked on chief and saw where it was, for some reason I was going under materials. When I typed in rocks in the library search nothing came up so I wasnt sure where else to look. Thanks again Glen!
    Chad Cardin

Hi Chad,
    I recently did a few ray traces of some landscaping that had a lot of objects and found that decorative 3D rock models ate up a lot of memory. If you don't need to do walk thrus, you might consider making 2D images from pictures and placing them in your views. I found a lot of rock images on Google images that I was able to size. If they need to be on 3D models, you could perhaps use them as textures applied as 'stretched to fit.' Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape view.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	57140 This image has both 2D and 3D rock images and rock textures applied to surfaces.

Chief X4 Premier (User since V9.0)
    Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    Nvidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Thanks Pam, good advice. By the way, will you be taking reservations to stay at that fantastic resort looking place youve pictured here in your post??!! Wow it looks so tropical and resort like, it could be right out of Hawaii... Im about due for another trip there, its been way too many years! Great tropical render!
    Chad Cardin

LOL -sorry Chad! That space is in my head (actually as I would love my side yard to look)... in my dreams! Thanks though. It was fun to do. I actually could not do a vector view final render and had to do a ray trace. If I recall back in the PovRay days, it would have been the other way around. So weird that my system simply refuses! I'm getting to really like Chief's Phoebe ray tracer.

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Its great to have those perfect places of our dreams and have them come to life on chief! I never spent time on the previous versions for raytrace because it took FOREVER and then if the lighting was off you couldnt adjust it, you had to start all over again, so I saw it as a waste of time. With X5s new raytrace it only takes minutes to get a decent one and if you want all the super niceties you can wait a little longer for better results but you can adjust the elements while its working, I so love that.

By the way I love your new logo!
    Chad Cardin

Pam, by the way I love the substantial trellis you have in the picture its heavy duty looking not fragile like some Ive seen. I also noticed you have a Trumpet Flower bush in the raytrace, those are so awesome! We use to have a huge one about 8' tall and 8' wide and at night it exudes this citrus smell that use to just smell the neighborhood up, all the neighbors use to ask if they could pick the flowers. Problem is, you have to be up late to appreciate the fragrance of the plant because its a night bloomer. My other two favorites for night bloomers are Night Blooming Jasmine and Sweet Olive, which smells like a bunch of fresh cut peaches! (Dont get me started on plants... like design I can go on and on...hahaha!)
    Chad Cardin

Chad, I think the trellis came from 3d Warehouse and the Angel's trumpet is a 2D image I found on Google Images. I knew that I wanted one in the rendering and didn't like the model I found in the bonus plant library. It looked a little stiff and had red flowers. It was difficult to find a plant that I could turn into a 2D image but I think the one I finally ended up with did the trick. I used to have one at our old house but it was smallish and I didn't remember that it smelled at all. Good to know, 'cause I want another one! One of my favorite scented flowers are from our citrus trees. Another that we had up north when I lived in Oregon was mock orange. I continue to grow lots of roses because they are my fav... Yup I could go on and on too. =)

Dell Studio XPS 8100
    Intel i7-860
    8 GB Ram & 1 TB HD
    Windows 8
    www.pamdesigns.net

Pam, when you go to get another trumpet flower, ask what kind it is because there are only a couple that have pleasant scents, others dont have scents. Ours was the pink flower, really large blooms at at least 6-8". Yes, citrus is my favorite scent too so those other bushes that I mentioned were a great find!!
    Chad Cardin