Ceiling and siding problem help. X5

Been running into these problems on a few jobs and kinda getting tired of it, hope someone can help. This project is a addition to a existing cape style house with dog houses. Problem 1 appears to be showing the existing ceiling height (89") coming thru the wall into the addition that has a 94 5/8" ceiling height, how do you correct this? Picture two near top left of addition roof the is a hole in the existing siding and also a wall sticking up thru the roof. Also is there a way to get the roof to snap to the framing or siding ? it always snap to the siding. Any help resolving these problems would be much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem 2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	57124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem 1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	57125  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DRW Architecture
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Chief X5 and AutoCad LT

Computer build by Dave,
    Cooler Master, HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.2GHz Turbo Eight-Core Processor
    (2) EVGA Super Clocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB DDR3 SDRAM 2400 Desktop Memory
    SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500KW 2.5" 500GBSolid State Drive

OK -- I'll get this started but I don't know the solution

Problem is not the ceiling but the flooring above. when you lower the ceiling, you also lower the floor above ans their walls. Since wall above is 5.5 and one below is 4.5 the wall above shows through. Moving the wall above in a bit fixes the problem but this is not what you want. You need to align outside of wall above with wall below. -- not main layers.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

I played around with this some more trying to get the alignment but could not get get the siding to line up even by changing the "build to" line . For some reason that doesn't work as expected. Finally created an identical wall as on floor #2 but reversed the layers. Outside was now in, but just reversed the wall and aligned with below and it worked with alignment. This is not the behavior expected. Guess I'll have too spend a couple of hours trying to find Scott's videos on Wall main layer and build to selection?
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Make the upper floor wall an Attic Wall.
    Or, maybe better, in a 3D view, select the upper floor wall and place a break (from the Edit menu) on the top of the wall where the problem is occuring. The should rebuild correctly.
    You can simply fix the brick problem by just dragging the lowered section up in a 3D view - but that doesn't fix why it is happening.

Gerry, you line up walls one above the other by using Alt+Q and selecting Outer Surface (or whatever you need) - not Build To.
    Build To only applies to platforms.

You can snap a roof plane to the framing or siding by using the On Object snap tool (turn off all the others except for Angle Snaps).

PS. Val, just saw your post.
    That wall with the problem is the upper floor wall, not the lower floor wall.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 01-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glenn --- All makes sense now!
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Thanks for pointing out the error Glenn. I delted the post to avoid any confusion.

Either way it's very easy to be able reshape strange wall conditions in camera view with the break wall tool.

It sounds like the problem is solved.

I do not believe Glenn had the correct solution and I don't believe in reshaping walls except for a few exceptions.

Here is a short video with the solution

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....268#post461268
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall