Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    You find the far off object by turning off half the layers, do an H view, if the view is fixed, you know the object is on one of the layers that are turned off.
    What is an H-view?
    ---MJP
    Chief Ar. Premier X5, Using Intel Core i7-3770 CPU, 12GB RAM, 64Bit Win. 7

Quote Originally Posted by mpolka View Post
    What is an H-view?
    In plan view, hit the H key and see what happens
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yep, user error, other than that no thoughts.
    Thanks for the slam. I never heard of the h-view. What is it? Is it horizontal extents?
    ---MJP

You find the far off object by turning off half the layers, do an H view, if the view is fixed, you know the object is on one of the layers that are turned off.
    Ok, I tried turning off A to L and doing h view, teeny tiny plan. Then I turned on A to L and turned off M to Z, did an h view, teeny tiny plan. How can that be?
    ---MJP

Ok, I tried turning off A to L and doing h view, teeny tiny plan. Then I turned on A to L and turned off M to Z, did an h view, teeny tiny plan. How can that be?
    I suppose because you are using a layer set for your H view with the offensive layer turned on. The directions I gave you are not very good. I would think that after you took the H view, and then turned off layers, it might help in identifying the layer that has the bad object in it.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I suppose because you are using a layer set for your H view with the offensive layer turned on. The directions I gave you are not very good. I would think that after you took the H view, and then turned off layers, it might help in identifying the layer that has the bad object in it.
    i tried holding the h view and turning off the layers one at a time until I had only 1 layer left and the teeny tiny image never changed at all. One thing I noticed was that as soon as I did the H view it was in "Camera View Set."
    ---MJP

Assuming that you are using the default hotkeys that ship with Chief, hitting the "h" key while in plan view is the same as using the Orthographic Full Overview tool.

By default, opening most camera views should automatically switch your layers so that you are using the "Camera View Set".

It sounds like your plan has some 3D data that is far away from the rest of the house. This is the most common cause for overviews to be very small or not show up at all. There are two things to look for. You may have an object that was somehow placed or moved very far away from the rest of the model. Or, you have an object that extends very far away. This sometimes happens with things that the program automatically generates like roof fascia or floor and ceiling platforms. These are most often the result of bad wall or roof connections.

Scott's suggestion of trying to turn things off in your layers to figure out what is in your model that is causing the problem can be very helpful. It can sometimes be a little bit tricky though because Chief tries to keep track of certain information while you are in a camera view so things are not updating all of the time. One way to force Chief to update the 3D data while in the camera view is to use the Rebuild 3D tool under the 3D menu. Here is the proceedure:
    - first, create the full overview using the default camera view layer set. It should be very small because you have some problem in the plan.
    - open the Layer Display Options dialog and turn off one or more layers.
    - use the rebuild 3d tool to force the update all of your 3d data.
    - use the Fill Window (or F6) tool to see if the view is now normal.

If your view is now normal then what ever layer(s) you turned off are where the bad objects are. If your view is still really small, then keep trying to turn off layers until it becomes normal.

Once you figure out what objects are causing the problem, you will then need to correct them.

If you continue to have problems, I would recommend that you contact tech support for more help.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    .................. One way to force Chief to update the 3D data while in the camera view is to use the Rebuild 3D tool under the 3D menu. Here is the proceedure:
    - first, create the full overview using the default camera view layer set. It should be very small because you have some problem in the plan.
    - use the Fill Window (or F6) tool to see if the view is now normal....................
    Michael (The Alaska Son) , are you listening?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Assuming that you are using the default hotkeys that ship with Chief, hitting the "h" key while in plan view is the same as using the Orthographic Full Overview tool.

By default, opening most camera views should automatically switch your layers so that you are using the "Camera View Set".

It sounds like your plan has some 3D data that is far away from the rest of the house. This is the most common cause for overviews to be very small or not show up at all. There are two things to look for. You may have an object that was somehow placed or moved very far away from the rest of the model. Or, you have an object that extends very far away. This sometimes happens with things that the program automatically generates like roof fascia or floor and ceiling platforms. These are most often the result of bad wall or roof connections.

Scott's suggestion of trying to turn things off in your layers to figure out what is in your model that is causing the problem can be very helpful. It can sometimes be a little bit tricky though because Chief tries to keep track of certain information while you are in a camera view so things are not updating all of the time. One way to force Chief to update the 3D data while in the camera view is to use the Rebuild 3D tool under the 3D menu. Here is the proceedure:

If your view is now normal then what ever layer(s) you turned off are where the bad objects are. If your view is still really small, then keep trying to turn off layers until it becomes normal.

Once you figure out what objects are causing the problem, you will then need to correct them.

If you continue to have problems, I would recommend that you contact tech support for more help.
    Ok, thanks very much. I will give that a try.
    ---MJP

I guess it's tech support for me because i turned on all layer in the camera view layer display, turned off 10 - 15 layers, hit rebuild 3d and repeated this until I only had one layer left, did it again and used a different layer just tom mnake sure that my last layer was not the culprit and still, LITTLE TEENY IMAGE. bUT thanks for trying, all.
    ---MJP

I think it is defininately your ATTIC and INVISIBLE wall layers that are the problem. Yes, I was able to turn those two layers off and I could see your model. But I must admit, I was not able to find the offensive items on those two layers. I think there are even more screwed up layers. I turned on all layers but those two, and I still had problems. Bottom line, I would start with the ATTIC and INVISIBLE walls layers, and then look for the other problem layers.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I think it is defininately your ATTIC and INVISIBLE wall layers that are the problem. Yes, I was able to turn those two layers off and I could see your model. But I must admit, I was not able to find the offensive items on those two layers. I think there are even more screwed up layers. I turned on all layers but those two, and I still had problems. Bottom line, I would start with the ATTIC and INVISIBLE walls layers, and then look for the other problem layers.
    Ok. How do I not get these situations? Should I always have auto rebuild attic walls off in my defaults?
    ---MJP

Ok. How do I not get these situations? Should I always have auto rebuild attic walls off in my defaults?
    I don't know, call TS, they know how this program works, I told you I could not solve your conundrum.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Michael,
    I think it is your group of polyline solids that you've used to make those medallions or whatever they are on the 1st flr. They are on the CAD, Default layer. I deleted two of them & the problem has gone away...........I think.
    Here's a link to your plan on my website. deleted lots of stuff before I figured it out.
    Still too big for this forum.
    Old Palm Lot 146(Jim)

??. email me.
    jim@eastbaydesign.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-3-2013 2-55-02 PM.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	57119  
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I don't know, call TS, they know how this program works, I told you I could not solve your conundrum.
    I put in a ticket for tech support. I did look at only invisible and attic walls. It looks like a$#. aLL kinds of wonky, short long, angled attic walls, some not even wall looking. A big mess.
    ---MJP