Utility Cabinet With Single Oven Information Cannot Be Edited In Components Dbx

I have a full-height 30 x 27 x 90 full-height utility cabinet that has a single oven in it (a Standard Single Oven from Chief's Library). When I generated a cabinet schedule, Chief gave the cabinet a "STANDARD SINGLE OVEN" label with no mention of the cabinet itself. I had to go to the Label tab of the Full Height Cabinet Specification dbx and put the selection bullet in the Specify Label option for the label to be changed to U302790 to make it match all the other cabinet label designators in the schedule.

In DESCRIPTION column of the cabinet schedule, Chief didn't even place any information in the cell for this cabinet. To remedy that, I selected the cabinet in plan, clicked on the components tool in the edit tool bar and then, in the Description column of the components dbx, I selected the cell, deleted the "standard single oven" text that Chief put in there, and entered UTILITY CABINET to match the descriptor for all the other full-height cabinets in the project. For some unknown reason, Chief is not allowing me to make any edits to this particular cell in the components dbx.

Next, in my COMMENTS column of my cabinet schedule, I wanted to display FULL HEIGHT OVEN CABINET. So, back to the components dbx I went and in the Comments cell, I put in the desired comment. When I went back and checked the cabinet schedule, my added comments were not shown in the cabinet schedule.

Does anyone have a clue why a full-height utility cabinet with an oven placed in it cannot have these two particular cells edited in the components dbx and have them display in the cabinets schedule? Can anyone explain to me why the cabinet itself doesn't seem to be adequately represented in the ID column of the component dbx for the cabinet? The only two items shown in the ID column are Appliance and Hardware ... not a peep even mentioned about the cabinet here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OvenCabCompDbx.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	57103 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinetSched.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	57104 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabinetElev.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	57105
    Last edited by Curtis Johnson; 12-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curt,

I believe that the only field you can actually edit and have it show in the Schedule is "Description". I don't know why CA did it this way but that's the way it is currently. I sent a feature request to support about 3 weeks ago for several enhancements to the schedules and this item was one of them. I really don't know why they haven't fixed it yet.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I just figured out that by clicking in a blank ID box and clicking Add in the components dbx, the C1 Cabinet ID is placed by Chief in the dbx, but for whatever reason, I can still not add the description and comment I want to by using the row for the cabinet in the dbx. Still confused.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Joe:

It has something to do with the Standard Single Oven from Chief's Library. I just placed a larger full ht. util. cab in a plan, added a large dbl. oven from the library to it and generated a cab sched. This time the schedule included "utility cab" in the description column and the component dbx already had the cabinet in it ... I didn't have to add it to make the cabinet show up. Also, I was able to edit the comments in the component dbx and have them show up in the cabinet schedule. I don't know what is wrong with that oven symbol, but something is definitely amiss. Thanks.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Curt,

Report it to support@chiefarchitect.com. That's the only way to get this sort of thing fixed. My guess that if you send it in as a formal support request - Adrean will get it fixed and the library will be automatically updated at some point.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Curtis:

When you add a appliance to a cabinet, it is changed to a appliance -- Don't know why
    (not allways true as you pointed out)-- If the ID is a A**, it is then a appliance and is listed in the fixture schedule-- Cabinet schedule then ignores it and makes up its own line. same true for material list. The ID number controls this. This is not true for added cats to the component list--- Go figure.

This thing has been screwed up since X1 with Chief just making it worse on each rev. I've been putting in suggestions since X3 and ALL ignored -- GOOD LUCK JOE.

UPDATE: Apparently for fixtures, the description field in the fixture schedule uses the symbol name & ignores the component list desc. -- fixtures are symbols. The material list uses the description in the component list. Consistency is not a big thing in Chief.
    Last edited by gteacher; 12-30-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fixture info
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Joe:

I sent it in to Tech Support.

Gerry:

I am not a regular user of material lists ... at all. I don't even mess around with the components much, but I found this little exercise quite interesting and I think it has peaked my interest a bit for future projects. Thanks for your insight and comments.

If I hear from Adrean on this, I will report back here and let everyone know what she said, unless of course she joins the thread with her comments.
    Curt Johnson

X5