Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't know about any of you but I have never had a job where there wasn't some kind of limitations on it( money, whatever) so I have never been free to do whatever I wanted. Not to say I can't get creative with It, but its always limited.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

@Jay, I am not sure which Earth you are from but the materials I buy ain't too cheap.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

"...why you do not see the details that you see in older houses."

Um? See attached. Do you still want to talk lack of details or craftsmanship in modern architecture? Maybe more subtle than gingerbread, but the details are still there.

jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGA_Photography_B-Foster_01.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	57112  
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jcaffee View Post
    "...why you do not see the details that you see in older houses."

Um? See attached. Do you still want to talk lack of details or craftsmanship in modern architecture? Maybe more subtle than gingerbread, but the details are still there.

jon

Right and how many people can afford something like you posted? Many of the older homes where I live we're owned by the regular Joe.

Money talks, but most people don't have it. I am sure if you paid any tradie enough and gave him time to ply his trade you could come up wth something better than what you posted.

Let's put things in perspective.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

He has a point. I have books full of stock plans from the 20's and 30's of homes for the average Joe. They range from 600-2600 sq. ft. Almost all of them down to the smallest one have some kind of detailing, the most common being casing, crown, and baseboard, and exteriors having corner boards, a band around them, shingles (sometimes at alternate exposure), and exposed rafter tails. Many have fireplaces. What they do not have, however, is a well-designed kitchen or bath, and almost no such room designed during this era would be acceptable today.
    Jason McQueen
    -----------------------------------
    Max Force PC - Intel i3570K @ 3.4GHz+, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 660 2GB, 120GB SSD+1TB HDD, 23.5" LCD
    Win 8 Home (Classic Shell) / CA X5

almost no such room designed during this era would be acceptable today.

all it takes is a revamp of the design to expand hallways to 36" and the baths/kitchens to modern proportions
    add closets to the bedrooms etc

some tweaking here and there and a house for a modern family

while I have seen a few "modern" homes that are "appealing"
    many are "appalling"

I'm a traditionalist who prefers Prairie or Arts/Crafts or Queene Anne Victorian
    (among others)

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    almost no such room designed during this era would be acceptable today.

all it takes is a revamp of the design to expand hallways to 36" and the baths/kitchens to modern proportions
    add closets to the bedrooms etc

some tweaking here and there and a house for a modern family

while I have seen a few "modern" homes that are "appealing"
    many are "appalling"

I'm a traditionalist who prefers Prairie or Arts/Crafts or Queene Anne Victorian
    (among others)

Lew
    I'm with you, another point of agreement, this is getting scary!

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

There is no such thing as "old" and "new" architecture being the determining factor of quality - just "good" and "bad" architecture/building, with variations inbetween no matter the age.

Modern architecture practiced 50 years ago can look "dated", but can also look timeless (F.L. Wright) just like Classic architecture practiced 1,000+ years ago can be timeless.

If you get wrapped up into thinking today's "trends" is what makes a building "fresh" or "old" looking, you have already made a huge mistake.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Modern architecture is a unique language and those who practice it often don't do traditional homes. Likewise those who work in the traditional vernacular usually don't take on modern designs. We all have our specialties. At the end of the day to each his own.

That said modern work is definitely something to be appreciated. They have a sculptural quality to them even if they may be perceived as somewhat cold and less cozy than a shingle style or arts and crafts home. To answer the original posters question, the call for modern work isn't exactly the norm in the majority of our country. It might only be found in places where the 1% are buying "luxury" real estate.

A builder friend of mine says that the cost for a home as depicted in that photo can run upwards of $600 to $800 per square foot. The details might be lacking but there are zero tolerances for imperfections.

I see no reason why any one of these projects can't be drawn in Chief. http://batesmasi.com/portfolio/portfolio.html

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    @Jay, I am not sure which Earth you are from but the materials I buy ain't too cheap.
    They are cheaper than they were in the early 1900's. In 1919 the price of lumber in today's dollars was around $550 per thousand board feet and that is more than double what it was last year.

I agree it seems like it is a never ending march towards higher prices but it is lower that it was when a lot of the houses with all the detailing were built. What would lumber cost if they actually had to go out and "chop" down a tree verses the extremely efficient method they use today?
    Jay Wojnas
    X4, X5, & LOL AutoCad R14/2000
    Precision Designs
    http://pdglobal.com

Quote Originally Posted by VHampton View Post

A builder friend of mine says that the cost for a home as depicted in that photo can run upwards of $600 to $800 per square foot. The details might be lacking but there are zero tolerances for imperfections.
    Wow what a bargain, wish I could get a builder to build at that rate and do quality at the same time.

Oh and those wonderful modern building materials we have now like MDF replacing timber for base moldings and door trim etc spells "cheap", especially when you get a height of about 50mm (2") as a going standard.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

Agreed on the lack of detail Rod. Most of these homes have the warmth of a car showroom between all the glass walls and stone floors.

I was just making a simple observation that they're hugely expensive despite the minimalistic nature of the design.

I'll take a peaked roof home chock full of crown moldings and wainscotted walls any day.

I have a client atm, with a project about 3700 sq ft (if I have my conversions correct). Whilst the outside is traditional, the inside doesn't have any fantastic detail for the following reason.

The builder said (and this was the general attitude) "we can't make it too intimate in detail" otherwise they couldn't squeeze it through their sausage machine. So we only have 9ft ceilings, 90mm (3.5") cornice or crown molding and 3" skirtings. The only big expense, if you can call it that, was granite benches and two paq cabinetry. Whilst the house will still look good, to add the finer detail, most builders here won't touch it because it takes up too much time or they whack you heavily for materials to make it worth their time. In the process, to construct this home they can knock up 4-5 cardboard boxes (or as John Mellencamp said - little pink houses).

Oh and they also have to hit you up for energy ratings to feed the pigs with snouts in that trough.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1