Thread: Material Lists

Skip is offline Registered User Promoted

Material Lists

Hi All,
    Using X5.
    I am curious, to what extent, if any, are folks using the material list function of CA? We are a Design-Build firm with now three designers. I have kicked around the material list a little bit but haven't invested much time in it. I guess my question is - is it worth investing time learning it's capabilities or am I likely to discard it after learning of its limitations (if any)?

Thanks,
    Skip.
    Skip
    X4

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Hi All,
    Using X5.
    I am curious, to what extent, if any, are folks using the material list function of CA? We are a Design-Build firm with now three designers. I have kicked around the material list a little bit but haven't invested much time in it. I guess my question is - is it worth investing time learning it's capabilities or am I likely to discard it after learning of its limitations (if any)?

Thanks,
    Skip.
    I don't get it yet, I do not think it works very well and I do not think it is user friendly, therefore I do not use it. There are others who would disagree.

Of course if your were able to figure it out, the accuracy will depend on some very good model builders. If you are even asking the question, I question how good your 3 designers are at creating a good model. Again, there are many users who would disagree with me.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Skip:

If you get 10 responses here, you’ll probably get ten points of view. There are so many limitations and anomalies in the material list, that most people have given up and just ignore it. Just do a search and you’ll see a huge list of suggested improvements.

Your question comes up about every six months, with about the same conclusion that until Chief makes some “common sense” improvements, the material list isn’t worth wrestling with the limitations.

For myself, I use the material list in about every job I do, but I export the list and import into my own program to properly redefine, sort, organize and list the materials with additional info. Note that this cannot be accurately accomplished without itemizing the component lists in conjunction with the material lists.
    Properly done, and with some considerable effort, I found that I can offer a reasonable cost and material list service to my builders using Chief.

IAE, the material list in Chief should be looked at, only as a starting point, not a final product.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

even CA states in the manual that the ML is only as good as the model is

the more you use workarounds the more manual fussing needed

I think those that rely on it have found ways to manually fuss

I don't it is possible to use it without manual intervention

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I think it does the basic materials correctly.
    Studs, wall sheathing, subfloor, roofing, drywall, insulation, standard millwork(case & base, crown etc)
    Some of the stud counts are weird sometimes with little blocks pieces being counted. I ignore that)
    dont forget to add for waste and margins for bad materials.
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

I also just don't use it at all. It's to difficult to get an accurate list.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor