Dedicated vs. Discrete Graphics

I'm not sure if the title above is even accurate. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find a ultraportable with touchscreen and graphics card among other things (what's the point of windows 8 without a touchscreen?)...and except in the $2400+ range, there's not so much (Dell has one - Inspiron XPS 15z, but only a 720p screen that's almost 16"???).

I've been under the impression that I'd need a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA or ATI...), but.... I've seen some ultrabooks that have the Intel HD4000 (integrated) "with 128MB dedicated video memory".

So, in our ever advancing technological world, does anyone have any feedback on running Chief (especially renderings) with an HD4000 with dedicated graphics? Would truly appreciate any feedback as my Sony Vaio screen is barely hanging on by its hinges and I need to make a decision soon!

Peace!
    John
    John

John Jones Architect llc
    Westport, CT

(203) 227-9817 jjallc@optonline.net www.johnjonesaia.com
    X5 latest; Samsung series 7 Chronos touch, Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, AMD Radeon 8770m 1G, yada yada yada
    Blessed with 5 adorable children - Psalm 127!

I don't know anyone here that wants to use a touchscreen for work, you might try support before they close today. Myself, I would not use an integrated video card.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

John - im running chief x4/ x5 on sony highest end vaio Z (1920x1080 screen with i7 3612QM processor)
    thats without the external graphics plugged in via optical cable back to notebook etc.
    so im only with intel hd4000 and it runs more than fine for general chief stuff including 3D.
    I run 1 external monitor. (can run up to 4 independent)

rendering with intel hd4000 ?? - can be done, works, but far better with nvidea (1st choice) or radeon (2nd choice) discrete graphics as it halves the time.

hope that helps.
    Bernie.

He says has has 128 mg of memory, Chief recommends a min of 1 GB. It may run for very simple plans but if you are using this program for your business, get something better.
    Last edited by perryh; 12-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor