Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    So many a 2d "designer" architect has 2d sketched themselves into a un-buildable corner that the draftsman could not save them from.

With all of todays zoning and code requirements etc I prefer to work in 3d, get a concept and then propose alternatives from that first model.

No offense to Johnny's obvious skills but 2d (design) should remain dead.
    No one can argue with enhanced presentation tools for site and floor plans however.......oh and shadow elevations to scale to layout please

EN

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    Chief is just to easy to change later.
    ------------------------------------------
    That is the most important thing to know about how ca does what you want.
    my way is simply start with some thing and in the middle of the work, different ideas come to flow.even when working on a one project on my way i may get some usefull results for an other pending project, by immediatly closing it i may open the other project and apply the changes there.
    This is the rough model i used to produce the posted elvns. In general i dont worry about where to start as well never fix the end results appearance from the beginning. That helps me to reach the destination which is the faciliy design needed with the service requested fully achieved.to some extent the floor plan is even daynamic , i dont exactly have a fixed procedure to do things, but that statement of perry is the most important thing to note.
    Yusuf,

I'm with you! Really good work! You amaze me sometimes...

I learned how to do architectural drawings on a drafting table with a state of the art VEMCO drafting machine, I studied engineering using a slide rule. As the times changed I evolved.
    I've been using CA since.... well at least V4, maybe longer, I'm getting old... I no longer think in 2D, only 3D , the structure as a whole. I find myself saving ideas all the time; just as you do.

I think it was actually sketchup that changed my of thinking, but CA had a big influence also.

But, then again (here it comes) I do alot of site layouts and some of Johnny's sugesstions would be a benefit there.

May this thread finally rest in peace....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vemco.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	57069

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide rule.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	57068

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Bill,
    Thank you very much, really apreciate too.
    But, i am afraid
    your kind words might ressurrect not only the dead threads .........
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

I'd like to add that I hire draftsman for my work, so I typically do concept drawings and pass it to my draftsman/designers to help complete the project. Maybe a large disconnect is the type of office I have VS how most people here are working.
    Yes we pass off to draftsman, they are Chief draftsman however. So they are 3D draftsman. There are others on this forum doing exactly the same thing. Wendy Welton to name one.

Well, look at it this way:

I am suggesting CA improve and add drawing features to Layout that compliments the 3D. It certainly can't hurt, and I KNOW many architects do not use CA in their office since it does not come off as a complete drawing package. As I find, I need at least 2 CAD apps to complete my work - using the format we all know is taught in school. Until that changes, I think a CAD system should at least offer the ability to use the universally taught method of practicing architecture. When that changes to 3D only from concept to finish, then that point will be mute. That day is not today.

Lastly, my last post concerning this issue got a LOT of support from people who have not posted here. If CA is watching this thread, I would reference the other thread where so many people agreed that tools and visuals within the CA APP didn't seem as good as it could. I would say it seems everyone is universal on the fact 2D elevations/sections should have the ability to contain shadows. I believe adding a "fog" feature so background items can be partially obscured as well would be a strong improvement.

Overall CA should look at see what Google did with its Layout app and learn from that a bit. I think it is time to dramatically re-arrange the 2D tool sets, as I found the transition to CA not nearly as "friendly" as other apps.

Thanks!
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Johnny:

I'm reminded of the Chuck Berry song: "Go! Johnny Go!!"

only CA can decide if a suggestion has merit and is feasible to implement

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Johnny:

I'm reminded of the Chuck Berry song: "Go! Johnny Go!!"

only CA can decide if a suggestion has merit and is feasible to implement

Lew
    In tribute:

The 'real' Chuck Berry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMY5VGYh2Go

Or Marty McFly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300

I started a thread in the 'suggestions forum' called '2D CAD features I'd like to see' This is where this discussion needs to be. I thought I was the ultimate in killing threads, maybe not!
    Johnny, looking for your list and I'll be checking it twice... even though Christmas is over!
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    8 GB DDR2
    750 GB HD SATA-300