Geodesic dome construction using roof planes

This is a true geodesic dome constructed in Chief using roof planes

I had first done it as a wood framed dome with a comp roof, but have converted the roof planes to glass, and added tubular struts using the ridge cap feature

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome layout.jpg 
Views:	1657 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	56814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass dome.JPG 
Views:	1117 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	56815
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME PICTORIAL.JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	56816  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Nice job Bill !

Can you explain the process?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

despite its apparent complexity, this is a very simple model.

There are only two triangle sizes involved here; with side lengths A,A,A, and side lengths A,B,B

There are a total of (40) triangles total, (30) A,B,B, and (10) A,A,A

Groups of five A,B,B, triangle form the basic pentagonal building blocks, while the A,A,A triangles fill in the voids between the pentangles.

All vertices are either A, or B, however, all but the horizontal vertices are fore shortened in plan view.

The regular polygon tool set for five sides, and ten sides at specific side lengths greatly speeds up the construction.

Attached is a plan file of the dome and its construction for anyone who might want to explore this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

I had no experience i ge dome construction in our area, so understanding the triangles related to dome circles was more tougher to me to make this geo dome in chief using faces and the circles i initially posted with a video. This circles r the important parts of dome and created it using molding polylines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geo d7.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	56958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geo d6.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	56959  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    This is a true geodesic dome constructed in Chief using roof planes

I had first done it as a wood framed dome with a comp roof, but have converted the roof planes to glass, and added tubular struts using the ridge cap feature

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome layout.jpg 
Views:	1657 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	56814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass dome.JPG 
Views:	1117 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	56815
    Seriously nice of you Bill. This should be in the Chief Manual somewhere and or one of their video tutorials. You made it look easy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a 2V (2 frequency) 4/8 (or half) dome type? I found an out of print(I think) book that's available to read for free online @issuu.com/golfstromen/docs/lloyd-kahn1971 . The title of the book is Domebook 2 by Lloyd Kahn copyright 1971 and looks like a good read. Glance thru it and it's a very nice book on small scale residential geodesic dome construction. One of those good Mother Earth News hippie type well illustrated books that I've always loved.

I just finished a preliminary design for a client that wants to demo his dome but keep his 36" high masonry and frame base/knee walls and existing slab and interior plumbing. My footprint was a modified 10 sided (decagon?) with alternating 16' and 8' baseline "vertices". I've reluctantly replaced the dome with 97.125" 2X6 stud walls framed on top of the knee walls and roofed with a regular pentagonal center post supported 6/12 pitch roof structure.

Pending cost prohibitive pricing by the builder, they will hopefully just remodel the more conventional (albeit flat roofed) appendages. The owner is tired of leaking pentagonal skylights (recently replaced) and wants a conventional forced air hvac system. I will try to talk them out of removing the skylights until/if they would recommence leaking. If I have to replicate the dome via cad (on Chief), I will be using your method to properly draw this beauty. Thanks and have a great Christmas holiday season.-Brad

House was on the market in the burbs of Reading, Pa and listed for around $225k and getting no offers due to it's slightly awkward floor plan and lack of a true 2nd bedroom (which is being resolved in the remodel).
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 12-19-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: ooops.
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4