Those Wacky X5 Toolbars

Has the jumpy toolbar issue ever been addressed or are people just learning to live with it? Would making a new configuration work?

Last week I shared a plan with a forumite. When it was saved an re-opened, the toolbars were more erratic than ever.
    (I use a custom default configuration and keep them locked, but they still move around!)

I could of sworn and I did, that my tool bars do not jump around, but after a closer inspection, yes, they still move around, so to answer the question, I have learned to live with it and ignore it.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

It is possible to have toolbars that do not move around constantly. The trick is to place tool bars that show in every view in the same place in each view - see below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	56951  
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

This video shows the amount of movement I get with this toolbar config.
    http://youtu.be/8AFeYruDJz4
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    kma on Facebook

I talked to a rep from Chief recently and they are still aware of the jumping toolbars and said it should be fixed in the next update which can't come soon enough for me, drives me crazy thinking a tool is going to be one place and then have to spend time looking for where it jumped to, on big pain in the butt
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

If you set them up right they wont move.
    As Scott often says - I suspect user error.
    I just remembered one slightly tedious aspect of setting this up. You need to go through each toolbar configuration (default, terrain, MEp, etc...) and move the toolbars to the same spot as well. I.e. select the configuration > pick Customize Toolbars > move them to the right spot > move on to the next configuration.
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    It is possible to have toolbars that do not move around constantly. The trick is to place tool bars that show in every view in the same place in each view - see below.
    This is probably the best and only explanation I have read regarding jumping tool bars and it makes total sense. I think I have realized this for quite sometime but never wanted to spend the time to go through the machinations to make it so.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

This again. The answer is still the same as the last time this was brought up. http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....-(X5)-Toolbars

Keven has shared the answer here; I have a similar setup, and it has worked for me as well. It is tedious to set up, but once you do, and make a backup, you are done.

The smart guys and gals at CA could read this post, set the OOB toolbars to reflect this pattern, and cross it off their list.

Oh well.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    If you set them up right they wont move.
    As Scott often says - I suspect user error.
    I just remembered one slightly tedious aspect of setting this up. You need to go through each toolbar configuration (default, terrain, MEp, etc...) and move the toolbars to the same spot as well. I.e. select the configuration > pick Customize Toolbars > move them to the right spot > move on to the next configuration.

I just remembered one slightly tedious aspect ... and move the toolbars to the same spot as well

This may not be necessary if you chose the "All Views" selection in the above DBox - at least mine never move and I suspect that selection is the reason why.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm in the process of making a new custom toolbar as suggested.
    This looks like the ultimate way to prevent this problem from reoccurring.

Kevin 'this' is brilliant.

Even though we've had many threads on the subject, they became pretty lengthy.

My guess has been that when we share plans with one another the toolbars have somehow become cross contaminated.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

Quote Originally Posted by VHampton View Post
    My guess has been that when we share plans with one another the toolbars have somehow become cross contaminated.
    Val, I don't think that tool bar configuration is saved with the plan, so I don't know how this could happen. It is more comparable to a "Program Preference" than a "Plan default".

I'm not saying it doesn't, just that it shouldn't, and I have not had it happen to me.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

It's just a theory Dave. With the initial X5 download the random changes were maybe a 1 on a scale of 1 to 4. But after a couple of recent file shares, it was a full blown 4 out of 4.

What's strange is that there were new features in my default toolbar configuration after it went haywire. Somehow it took on settings which had never been assigned. I'm assuming that the foreign settings may have come from the shared file as weird as that may sound.

It would be interesting to know if tech support notices any changes to their in house program(s) when they experiment with submitted files?
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

I had major toolbar problems in beta, then on release I went to OOB toolbars. Initially it was good but it seems to still ocasionally jump around. It appears to be partly plan specific, but as yet I have not been able to determine the steps i took to get them to really mess up to a point where I reset. I have a theory that it is more prone to jumping around when I have multiple plans and views and a layout all open. Trying to confirm before sending to CA
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

I had the problem and only had one custom config. I "reset" the toolbars, then locked em. No problems no matter how many plans, views I have open EXCEPT if I have a plan that I had my assistant work on using another computer. Then they jump...sometimes.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co