Point to Point dimension question

Hi All,
    Working in X5
    Am working in CAD view, pulling point to point dimensions. Why is the program automatically placing a CAD Point Marker instead of just measuring to the targeted item? Do I have a preference turned on? can't figure it out.

thanks,
    Laura.

When you use "point to point" dimensions, that's what it does (dimensions between two points). Try using an "end to end " dimension.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

to bad there is not a snap to snap dimension tool ....
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZE WOOD View Post
    to bad there is not a snap to snap dimension tool ....
    But there is, CAD<POINT<POINT MARKER............. I think that is what you are asking for.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I think what Mike means is point-to-point dimensions, each point being a snap, there's your dimension, and Chief draws no points. Like dimensioning in Sketchup.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    I think what Mike means is point-to-point dimensions, each point being a snap, there's your dimension, and Chief draws no points. Like dimensioning in Sketchup.
    Well, by adjusting the size of the points down to a minimal size, they are effecdtively not there. But I know, you don't want any points.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yes, those 1/16"-sized points on my screen look like dust motes. I like it clean, plus having to edit the point size is a drag.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

The point markers can be on a layer that is turned off, and the dimension string still works.

Unfortunately, CA has hardwired the point markers for the point to point tool to default to the layer specified for the dimensions, in the active annotation set, instead of the layer for point markers.

So, to get them onto a layer that you can turn off requires a cut/paste to a new layer.

If CA were to add a layer spec. in the dimension default for the marker. It would be "clean" to use the pt to pt tool, and no markers would show without needing extra steps.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Doesn't Chief do this with both the End to End and the standard dimensioning tool with the appropriate snaps toggled on?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Doesn't Chief do this with both the End to End and the standard dimensioning tool with the appropriate snaps toggled on?

and Chief draws no points.
    that's it ... a few hundred times over.

Doesn't Chief do this with ...
    that would work if Chief added about 4 more generic dimension tools that each has its own / separate settings ... suggested a hundred times over -

as dimensioning in Chief has always been a time consuming and unnecessary use of time -

and their emphasis on 3D (Ok) - but lack of support for basic CD as dimensioning should be a Top Priority for the overall appeal for their software.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Check out this video, this might be what you want

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....314#post460314
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX