Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Off 90 by just a hair..

Anyone else having trouble with things off by just a hair?
    I have been having this more often in X5.

This one is a framing beam..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	56719  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Yup! all the time; particularly w/ framing. I turn off all snaps except angle snaps & use trim/extend, etc. Didn't used to be like that. just the last couple versions. Gotta watch walls, too.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

That's such a small discrepancy that I think it's probably a "Precision" problem. I'm actually surprised that the dbx isn't programmed not to show it. IOW, the angle should probably just be displayed as -180.0000 degrees.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Thanks.
    It was just enough that I could see it at the joist ends..
    We should have angle locks that over ride snaps.

Seems like snaps worked better in older versions too.
    Might just be from using plans started in older versions..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

even that little amount off 90d can cause display issues in Chief. Not so much w/framing (unless it's a rim joist), but, w/ other stuff....... fascia lines won't build correctly, walls won't heal , moldings, etc. When I get plans w/ problems & I can't figure it out right away w/ the "usual" suspects, I start looking at those angles. Usually, you can see a slight "jog" in the line that tells you it's not orthagonal.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Even that small amount (less than .03d) off from 180d will throw you off more than a 1/4" over 40'. You could "chase your tail" for a long time trying to figure that out when dimensioning.
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    Yup! all the time; ... Didn't used to be like that. just the last couple versions.
    Glad to hear it is not just me. I basically went from X3 to X5, and now I have to turn object snaps off more often than before.

I wonder if previously, angle snaps had priority, and that has changed?
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Theoretically Angle Snaps should work with Object Snaps. IOW, the nearest point on a line would be at exactly 90 degrees perpendicular. Of course if the angle of the object is not at a multiple of the Angle Snap setting then it's a question.

What version of Chief are you using - 32 bit or 64 bit ? Maybe it's a programming difference between the 2 versions and CA needs to take a look at it.

My advise - send it in with an example that can be verified.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

FWIW, the only way I've been able to have object snaps over-ride Angle Snaps is when I snap to a vertex or center-point. Just snapping to the nearest point on a wall always matches my Angle Snap setting of 15 degree increments.

I'm using X5 64 bit.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    FWIW, the only way I've been able to have object snaps over-ride Angle Snaps is when I snap to a vertex or center-point. Just snapping to the nearest point on a wall always matches my Angle Snap setting of 15 degree increments.
    I second that. It overrides object snaps to the point that its frustrating at times.

Ortho lock anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bbuilders View Post
    I second that. It overrides object snaps to the point that its frustrating at times.
    ORTHO LOCK, ORTHO LOCK, ORTHO LOCK! We've been asking for it from the beginning of the "X versions". Chief's cad and walls need a toggle that allows the user to stop this nonsense. It's very time consuming and frustrating and if you don't catch it, can cost you some money (of course the time consumption continually costs us money) for putting out a flawed document. Maybe Chief should rebate half of my SSA cost for my troubles.

At the very least, lines and walls should follow the 15 or 7.5 degree angle snaps and not jump to some arbitrary snap point. You should need to turn off the angle snaps or hold a control key to deviate otherwise. Maybe there should also be 45 degree angle snap option to further facilitate the drawing of walls and cad lines which are primarily at 90 degree increments. For this to be occurring in X5 after all the hype is just plain bullship.-BB

Oh, and interestingly, Archicad handles it in a Bass Ackwards Way by holding the control key (for ortho locking) when drawing a line or wall in order to guarantee that the lines hold to 90 degree increments. Who was the genius programmer on that one?!!! Maybe he was moonlighting from Chief?
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 12-05-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: More consternation
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

I have not experienced this problem. Either I am not aware of it or the other users are doing something just a little differently than what I am doing. So how do we get to the bottom of this? Come on guys, think.... how do we figure out why some people have issues and others don't? What is different? All this blather does not get to the issue. Maybe somebody can show us an example of this occuring. I generally believe this is user error, and I suppose CA thinks it is user error and they will not fix it, so you have to give them some hard core evidence of the issue.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Unless you go in tight with the zoom, it is easy to go off-ortho when manually framing or editing framing. It would be nice to be able to lock framing so angular pulls (or snapping that pulls a member off its established axis) could only be done with something like the control key pressed. Allen called this question using a framing example.

I have not experienced off-ortho (with angle snaps on) when drawing walls or roof or CAD lines. It happens with framing because of butted joints when members meet at 90 degree corners, one going long, the other butting to it. Pulling a framing member end into such a corner, snap wants to take your CENTER into an end, not what you want. Gotta zoom.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

This is how this usually happens to me. When drawing a manual roof plan over a long distance, it is easy to have the baseline snap to a point that is very nearby. This example shows that the roof plane dbx shows a 0.0 angle, when it is not. This situation is easy to miss with a large roof plane, and it throws of the framing as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Angle Issue.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	56735
    John Schniepp
    Schniepp Design & Drafting
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by jschniepp View Post
    This is how this usually happens to me. When drawing a manual roof plan over a long distance, it is easy to have the baseline snap to a point that is very nearby. This example shows that the roof plane dbx shows a 0.0 angle, when it is not. This situation is easy to miss with a large roof plane, and it throws of the framing as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Angle Issue.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	56735
    I have seen this in plans posted. How does that happen? One reason maybe angle snaps are off or the user is not careful enough when drawing the roof plane. My base lines are typically only about 60" long or so, so I am sure the base line is on the wall. I do not run the roof base line the entire length of wall, which may be a contributing factor.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall