Workstation Graphics Card vs. Gaming Graphics Card

This topic hasn't been discussed in a while; I couldn't find any up-to-date info in the forum. Doug Park from CA linked to a helpful list in a previous post... however I cannot understand why the $426 card beats the $3700 card and I still don't know which one to buy. :0(

I have been reading about the differences between super expensive workstation graphics cards like the nVidia Quadro line, and super awesome gaming cards like the nVidia GTX line. I know that workstation graphics cards can do very complex calculations relatively quickly. But that gaming cards tend to pump out medium-detail graphics super quick (for better frame rates and such).

But what I don't know, is which one of these card types will make Chief work better/faster. Help?

Specifically, if someone could check the following boxes for me, that'd be great! LOL.

Ability to rotate model in 3D with "Final View" and/or shadows turned on:
    ( ) Workstation Card ( ) Gaming Card

Speed up the drawing of cross section views:

Speed up rotating model in vector view:

Speed up panning-zooming in very large plan files:

Speed up panning-zooming in very line-heavy layouts:

I know it's never that cut-and-dry, but people really just want to know, "Which card should I buy". We don't do well with so many options. Someone needs to narrow it down for us.
    Last edited by brinkbart; 11-29-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarification

In summary, CA's bottom line - stated time after time

"get the best gaming card you can afford"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The choices you show don't all use the GPU. Basically the GPU is responsible for Pan, Rotate & Zoom and the CPU is responsible for redraw when the model changes. "Final Shadows" are not handled by the GPU - it's a CPU function. Chief is optimized for Gaming Cards so don't waste your money on a Workstation card.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

What if I could afford the $3700 card? It scores lower than the $426 card. Do those scores even matter to Chief Architect?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Chief is optimized for Gaming Cards so don't waste your money on a Workstation card.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, Joe.

What if I could afford the $3700 card?

Is that a gaming card ???

if not, then probably a waste of money....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The benchmarks I've linked to are very close to accurate with respect to performance of Chief.

The outliers in price performance are simply that. Out liars. The dollars don't equate to performance even in other CAD programs that they were optimized for.

There seem to be enough people out there that will buy these high end cards to justify manufacturers building them and selling them.

Bottom line 3D video cards are designed to draw 3D graphics really fast.

The requirements for 3D graphics for CAD or gaming are pretty much identical.

They also do a decently good job of drawing 2D graphics fast because all of them have to do this.

In investigating the high end cards we have found the following:

1) They often have inferior buggy drivers.
    2) They almost always are outperformed by at least one gaming card upon their release.
    3) Within 6 months of their release they are virtually always outperformed by a gaming card.
    4) The drivers for these cards often don't get updated as quickly as gaming cards.
    5) These cards are optimized for specific products. Most of which also perform better using gaming cards.

You can line the pockets of the vendors by buying an inferior card for a superior price or you can buy the faster card for less.

I've been linking to this site a lot. So far I have not found an exception to the relative performance of cards listed on this site and performance in Chief. It isn't a guarantee of course, but it is far better than just guessing.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Well, Doug, I do appreciate it. That's the info I've been looking for. Looks like I'm going with the GTX 680.

And the price of went down seven bucks from just yesterday! HALLELUJAH!

Sometimes I've said the best video game running on my computer is CHief Architect.
    Jason McQueen
    -----------------------------------
    Max Force PC - Intel i3570K @ 3.4GHz+, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 660 2GB, 120GB SSD+1TB HDD, 23.5" LCD
    Win 8 Home (Classic Shell) / CA X5

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen3D View Post
    Sometimes I've said the best video game running on my computer is CHief Architect.
    Where's the 'Like' button?

Doug,
    MSI GT70 ONE-609 US
    Would you please look at this machine and comment on it's potential with regards to running X5?
    Thank you

Question Best machine for running X5

MSI GT70 ONE-609 US

Any comments on this laptop would be appreciated.

Thanks!