Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know what you're looking for with the align tool, and we already have one. Its called the "align/distribute objects" tool.
    This tool works pretty well, but it could have been better. I was beta testing when it came out (in X3). I can't remember the programmer that was in charge of this feature, but I submitted feedback that is was a nice tool, but that the control of it was a little vague in some cases.

For example. If you select 2 polylines, and envoke the "align top edges" command, it will always pick the top-most edge of the selected items to align them to. In other programs with similar tools, the process is similar except that it will align the top edges to the object you selected first. Much better in that it is intuitive, and easy to align multiple objects to the edge of any object, I explained this to them. But, they responded that they could easily accomplish that, but didn't see the value in that extra control. Obviously, they only write the programming, and not use the tool in their work.

Unfortunately, I think this is the case with many of Chief's tools. So close, and then development to refine the tool stops because to the programmer, it is appears to be a done deal.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    This tool works pretty well, but it could have been better. I was beta testing when it came out (in X3). I can't remember the programmer that was in charge of this feature, but I submitted feedback that is was a nice tool, but that the control of it was a little vague in some cases.

For example. If you select 2 polylines, and envoke the "align top edges" command, it will always pick the top-most edge of the selected items to align them to. In other programs with similar tools, the process is similar except that it will align the top edges to the object you selected first. Much better in that it is intuitive, and easy to align multiple objects to the edge of any object, I explained this to them. But, they responded that they could easily accomplish that, but didn't see the value in that extra control. Obviously, they only write the programming, and not use the tool in their work.

Unfortunately, I think this is the case with many of Chief's tools. So close, and then development to refine the tool stops because to the programmer, it is appears to be a done deal.
    Dave,

There is another tool that will do what you want quite easily.

Select the lines you want to move.
    On the Edit toolbar, select the tool on the end (it really doesn't have a name - but I think it is Align to Line, not the Align and/or Evenly Distribute tool that you have been using).
    Select the other line that you want to align with.
    The Align to Line dbx will open.
    Under Alignment check Centers. OK.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Dave,

There is another tool that will do what you want quite easily.

Select the lines you want to move.
    On the Edit toolbar, select the tool on the end (it really doesn't have a name - but I think it is Align to Line, not the Align and/or Evenly Distribute tool that you have been using).
    Select the other line that you want to align with.
    The Align to Line dbx will open.
    Under Alignment check Centers. OK.
    Glenn, I was referring to objects as opposed to lines. Like polylines, and or text blocks, etc.
    _
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	56726  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Glenn, I was referring to objects as opposed to lines. Like polylines, and or text blocks, etc.
    _
    I think you can do that. I believe you can alight the left edges, or right edges and I think they can be centered, I will double check in the am..
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I think you can do that. I believe you can alight the left edges, or right edges and I think they can be centered, I will double check in the am..
    Scott, did you find a way to align all objects to the left edge of a middle object without using multiple steps?

The tool will only align the left edges of the left most object, or the right edge of the right most object, or the center, which who knows where that will be until you use it.

You can do what I am suggesting in 2 steps now, but if the tool were set up correctly, it would be one step. That is what I mean by "almost there" with the tool refinement. As I said, I had a conversation with the programmer, and they didn't see the value, that is what is frustrating.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Scott, did you find a way to align all objects to the left edge of a middle object without using multiple steps?

The tool will only align the left edges of the left most object, or the right edge of the right most object, or the center, which who knows where that will be until you use it.

You can do what I am suggesting in 2 steps now, but if the tool were set up correctly, it would be one step. That is what I mean by "almost there" with the tool refinement. As I said, I had a conversation with the programmer, and they didn't see the value, that is what is frustrating.
    No, I did not.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by nw dave View Post
    unfortunately, i think this is the case with many of chief's tools. So close, and then development to refine the tool stops because to the programmer, it is appears to be a done deal.

chief headquarters,
    you are missing a construction consultant in your development process.

Programers are not carpenters or builders or contractors they probably don't have any experiance
    having built houses or buildings with a hammer and nails.
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com