Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    Susan, there are, in our business appearances and then there are actualities. No one is likely to check your work within Chief Architect but you after all. No one is going to inhabit your virtual model and take you to task over a tiny fraction not actually being there or not there.

What I would do if I was required to display such exactitude, I would just annotate it to the 64th of an inch and care not if the actual object was or was not actually that dimension. Clear graphic communication is, I am sure what you are after.

In other words "close is good enough for me", as I can use text and 2-D CAD to "say" what an object is and make it come out however I want in terms of appearances.

DJP
    FWIW, I attached some snips showing 1/64" and 1/128" fractional dimensional displays using the secondary format. If I needed to, I used an end panel to size the base cabinet. I'm with DJP, I'd find a way to label or comment on the appliance size, maybe in a schedule, rather than trying to model to this accuracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppDIMS.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	56683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppDIMS2.PNG 
Views:	122 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	56684  
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I do not think he edited the post, there is no indication that he did. You say by using the secondary format you can get 1/128" accuracy, I am not sure if this is true. I ltried it and could not get it. If I am wrong please post the plan showing the 1/128" accuracy. The smallest fraction of accuracy I got was 1/16", and that is after I adjusted the dimension defaults as suggested by Alan.

Now, note the LAST EDITED at end of this post.

EDIT............... oops, I am wrong, it no longer notes that the post was edited, my bad, I thought at one time it noted the edit.

oops, I am wrong again, it does note the edit date and time................. nuts, half the time I don't know what I am talking about and the other half of the time I am lying............. go figure.
    I went and reread, actually there was a discussion of dimensionsing vs. appliance sizing, which is what I responded to. I've attached screen shots of cabinets dimension to 1\64" and 1\128" accuracy using secondary format.

Name:	AppDIMS2.PNG 
Views:	105 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	56714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppDIMS.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	56715  
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    I went and reread, actually there was a discussion of dimensionsing vs. appliance sizing, which is what I responded to. I've attached screen shots of cabinets dimension to 1\64" and 1\128" accuracy using secondary format.
    As usual, I was unclear. I understand you can get dimensions to 1/128". Accuracy for most things. But I cannot resize an appliance symbol to that accuracy and I believe that is what the OP was requesting in post #1. BTW, you do not need to use secondary format to get that accuracy.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

@Susan. I believe the problem is that you have the box I circled in the attached image checked "Reduce Fractions". Therefore the fractions were, (how do you say?) being reduced. I believe this is checked by default in X5. This is why you were seeing the rounding. You were probably getting the x/64 th level of accuracy on the appliance but the numbers were lying.

In other news: one of my favorite carpenter stories was from when I lived in Seattle. Most of the people I employed (as a general contractor) trumped me in education level since I only had a 5 year professional degree. I had this guy working for me with a graduate degree in Hindi Music who had done some cabinet making but really wanted to learn more about general building. I was handing him bird blocks to nail in. He handed one back saying that it was about 1/32" too big. My language may have been a bit more colorful but basically I said "that's why you have a hammer on your belt".

Name:	fraction action 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	56717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fraction action.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	56718  
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    In other news: one of my favorite carpenter stories was from when I lived in Seattle. Most of the people I employed (as a general contractor) trumped me in education level since I only had a 5 year professional degree. I had this guy working for me with a graduate degree in Hindi Music who had done some cabinet making but really wanted to learn more about general building. I was handing him bird blocks to nail in. He handed one back saying that it was about 1/32" too big. My language may have been a bit more colorful but basically I said "that's why you have a hammer on your belt".
    Alan, I hope you handed over the control of the finish carpentry to the music major!!
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

After going back through the specs sent to me by the client (an appliance rep for Bertazzoni), I have discovered that the drawing I was looking at with the 64th of an inch dimensions is actually the manufacturer's recommended cutout size for their new speed oven. This is not labeled on the drawing nor is it on their website. I only discovered it by reading through labels on the pdfs sent to me. So, you are all correct, I do not need to be worrying about this!
    Susan C
    X5 Premier
    X4, X3
    MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by SusanC View Post
    After going back through the specs sent to me by the client (an appliance rep for Bertazzoni), I have discovered that the drawing I was looking at with the 64th of an inch dimensions is actually the manufacturer's recommended cutout size for their new speed oven. This is not labeled on the drawing nor is it on their website. I only discovered it by reading through labels on the pdfs sent to me. So, you are all correct, I do not need to be worrying about this!
    Within 1/16 inch is "Greg Perfect"
    Greg
    Greg
    X6 Premier Mac
    Apple Mac Pro
    dual 23" Displays
    40" HD TV as Customer Display
    since Chief Architect '97

Really? 1/64"? Doesn't make sense to me. Miele doesn't require working to those tolerances.
    X3, Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by tompapa View Post
    Really? 1/64"? Doesn't make sense to me. Miele doesn't require working to those tolerances.
    Don't think anyone does, you can't in that situation. Don't know about the others but Wolf gives the tolerance on their appliances as +/- 1/8".

For many years I worked as a maker of odd things (modelmaker), often to tolerances of .0001". Had to learn early what was an achievable tolerance with different materials. Every now and then the "ghost of mistakes past" takes over my brain getting me into a fix by designing things too tight for real life.
    Mark McAniff, Highland, NY

X5 Interiors
    Sager NP9150 Win8, i7 3840-2.8, GTX 670MX 3GB, 16GB DDR3, 256 mSSD, 500HDD
    Dell M4500 Win7 Pro-64, i7 M620, Quadro FX 880M, 8GB

MarkJames & Co. Designers of fine kitchens, baths, and built-ins.
    www.markjames.co