Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batt hatch?

How many years for this one doug? Dang!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    I found this on the internet. It almost works but there are some scale and origin issues.

I've tried setting this to a scale of .008333 but it doesn't quite work. I think this one was probably defined in mm rather than inches so it's too big and doesn't align well with the edge of the wall layer.
    Golly gee wiz Mr Cleaver! Even your top gun users can't come up with a decent work-around for this one. How many more years am I going to have to represent insulation in my plan view walls using the dang hexagon or octastone pattern????

But really how trivial can I be by wanting my con. docs to look better?!!!!-BBwildered
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BATT **** PATTERN.PNG 
Views:	224 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	56757  
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt hatch.JPG 
Views:	450 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	56764The problem with using a batt hatch with Chief walls is that the pattern origin is not tied to the wall, but to the drawing origin.
    I can clearly see this when I move a wall in one inch increments with the cursor keys.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt hatch.JPG 
Views:	450 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	56764The problem with using a batt hatch with Chief walls is that the pattern origin is not tied to the wall, but to the drawing origin.
    I can clearly see this when I move a wall in one inch increments with the cursor keys.
    Bill, you are quite correct. That means that a very simple pattern has to be used - maybe something like what Bradley showed.

OTOH, as a fill for a wall layer it would be up to Chief Architect to adjust the origin of the pattern. This could be done in programming and really follows one of my requests to allow x/y offsets for fill patterns in general on a object by object basis.

Note: There has been some discussion of this problem and the need for a Linear Pattern Fill in the following thread http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ht=cross+hatch
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 12-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Gary,

thank you, but unfortunately I cannot get this scaled down enough to show up properly. Close!

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    I got tired of trying to figure it out so I just created a block file and imported all my blocks from AutoCAD and placed them in my project browser. As much as I love CA's rendering and plans, I detest the CAD interface. They need to really step it up there.
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

Gary,

I am unable to open that file.
    So my question is I guess if there is a way to take the "Batt" box option and convert it to a .Pat file? I am not great with the technical ins and outs of computers so I would need a very dumbed down way of doing this....

Chaos

Chaos,

IMO the easiest way to deal with this is to draw a repeatable pattern (using lines and arcs) which you then block and store in the library. Then use that object along a distributed path. The object can be scaled, rotated, offset and repeated at whatever spacing is needed.

Chief doesn't allow offsets of XHatch Patterns and it doesn't have 2D Line-Styles.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

is anyone able to post a .PAT file from AutoCAD that I can use to get this accomplished?

Chaos

I don't think Autocad .PAT files can be used by Chief

you may need to convert to a .PAT format that Chief can use

Turbocad use to be compatible with Chief

years ago I bought the Hatch Kit from a firm in Australia for making .PAT files
    never used it

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    is anyone able to post a .PAT file from AutoCAD that I can use to get this accomplished?

Chaos
    I had previously attached the autocad batt.pat It isn't very good. I have always just used the symbol I also have previously attached and copy it as needed, where needed. And yes Lew, a .pat file can be used by autocad and chief. As far as I know there aren't different types of that kind of file.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Gary:

when I started with Chief 9.5 there was a difference with the Autocad .PAT files
    that prevented them from being used in Chief

maybe that has changed ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

There is at least one difference that I know of: Chief doesn't recognize a "dot" in a pattern file.
    In addition, there is no 2D linestyle in Chief - you have to use a distributed path with a 2D Block.
    Windows 8.1