Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Open below floor issue

Hello All
    I have a house plan with five floors. The first two floors are living areas, the third floor is the attic and fourth and fifth floors are access to an observation tower. On the third floor I have a small room for the stair well that is set to "Open Below". On the rest of the floors the view in "Perspective" "Floor overview" shows the stair way to the floor below correctly but on the third floor it shows a white plane instead. The top of the floor is removed correctly but what appears to be the ceiling of the room below is not removed. I have tried deleting the walls and redrawing them but to no avail. I also checked the defaults for each floor and I could not see anything different. Does anybody know what could be the problem?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor Problem.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	56514

Regards

Phil

Go to the floor below, select the stairway room and open the dbx. On the structure tab, uncheck "Ceiling above this Room".
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Hello Joe
    I tried that but it had no effect.

Regards

Phil

Phil,

Time to post the plan
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Do you have any of those 0 layers in your ceiling or floor structure defaults, if so ,delete them.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Floors above the attic? The attic level will have different properties than a normal floor. Try making them all real floors and the attic can then be just an attic and not another floor.

Hello All
    I have found the cause of the problem but I don't know how to fix it. On the end of the building is a garage with a gable roof that joins onto the hip roof on the main house. I have a room above the garage that is accessed via the second floor of the house. As soon as I delete the end wall from the room above the garage the stairway open below shows up correctly.

java tom
    Sorry for the confusion but the proper Chief "attic floor" is actually floor 6 and is not used.

perryh
    I could not find any 0 layers.

Glenn
    Attached is a slimmed down version of the plan but it still shows the issue.

By the way I am using X5 on Windows 7 64bit.
    Thanks for the help

Regards

Phil

House Plan.zip

Phil,

There is no data in the plan.
    You need to close Chief before zipping.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Hello Glenn
    Don't know what happened there. I did have Chief open but the file was not opened in Chief. I have uploaded another copy I hope it works.

Regards

Phil

Phil,

It's definitely a Ceiling Plane. I suspect that it has something to do with the Roof Baseline Heights - possibly being too low. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you simply raised the roof about 500 mm.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Phil,

The solution is to check "Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling" for the Room above the Garage.

Don't ask me why - but it works.
    Windows 8.1

BTW, If it was me I would raise the Roof Planes so that the Roof Framing rests on a plate on top of the Floor Sheathing. It's a lot easier to build that way.
    Windows 8.1

Thanks Joe that fixed the problem with the stairwell but now the walls are transparent when viewed using a full camera placed inside the room. I can live with that I guess but it looks a little odd.

I will lift the planes up as suggested. You are quite correct it would be a lot harder to build with the planes cutting the floor like that.

Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Phil,

The solution is to check "Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling" for the Room above the Garage.

Don't ask me why - but it works.
    This is one of those unexplainable anomolies. You could also uncheck ROOF OVER THIS ROOM, and all is well, but I don't know why.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Here is the wierd ceiling plane issue that Joe solved. Makes no sense. I believe there is another user who is experiencing same issue with his plan. Probably a bug.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall