Re: Light Leakage Exterior Raytrace

Hi Guys,

Ive finally upgraded from X4 to X5 today and have been playing around with the raytrace engine to which I am pretty impressed with up until an attempt at a night/dusk scene.

This is where I encountered a fair amount of light leakage around windows, ceiling/ roof junction and through a custom molding profile added to give some definition in the cladding. This is where I think the problem lies, Ive used a lightweight wall with a 90mm main layer between two 10mm layers then the custom profile added externally. The room to the right has also got a ceiling height of 600mm to achieve the split wall look then windows placed in the attic wall.

I done a search and found this thread that didnt really have any outcome and tried the wall ballooning through the ceiling and the polyline solid ceiling as suggested by Wendy but to no avail.(http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....light+raytrace)

Has anyone come across this problem or have any ideas how to resolve or avoid the issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X5 Night Test.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	56501  
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Matt,

Check your light fixtures. It appears that some if not all of them are defined as "Points" instead of "Spots". I don't know why Chief's content team has them that way but it really isn't correct. "Point" source lights sometimes have too large a radiant globe and can cause this sort of thing.

It's not the Ray Trace Engine that causes these problems - it's the lights themselves being improperly defined. A "Point" source throws light in all directions and if the "Globe" is too large in can partially be outside of the wall - it's kind of like a "Fireball".
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Thanks Joe worked a treat
    Matt Taylor
    Newcastle NSW Australia

Chief X5
    Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEForce GT555M
    Win7 64-Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Matt,

Check your light fixtures. It appears that some if not all of them are defined as "Points" instead of "Spots". I don't know why Chief's content team has them that way but it really isn't correct. "Point" source lights sometimes have too large a led lighting radiant globe and can cause this sort of thing.

It's not the Ray Trace Engine that causes these problems - it's the lights themselves being improperly defined. A "Point" source throws light in all directions and if the "Globe" is too large in can partially be outside of the wall - it's kind of like a "Fireball".
    Would it be feasible to use led lights for same purpose?
    Last edited by Tanngar; 12-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.