Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell Roof

Bell Roof

Hello fellow Chiefers:

I am stumped. Have tried to do this bell roof with roof planes, solids, and moldings but I simply can't get it right. There are multiple pitches on this as the center of the peak is not the center of the arc its covering. If anyone can help it would be so appreciated. I am sure someone will yell "sketchup" but I am not skilled enough with that program to attempt this.

Thanks,

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Roof.png 
Views:	319 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	56337  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB

I will give it a try in the AM. The Great David Michael can probably do it with his eyes closed. I would assume if you can get one plane correct, it is simply a matter of the T/R tool. To get that first plane correct I would assume it is a CURVED ROOF but instead of a POSITIVE CURVE, you would need to make it a NEGATIVE CURVE, and you would need to work on the pitches at the eave and the ridge.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Let me back up, going from memory, draw a roof plane, get your fascia and ridge hts correct, open roof dbx and check curved roof and now for the pitch (or angle) it should probably be a negative pitch, a positive pitch would give you the dome effect, a negative pitch should give the inverse.......... going off memory, I will try in AM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Hey Yusuf, this is right up your alley.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The curved roof part is correct - by selecting a ridge angle of 90 it will create the curve - let me explain what I did:

I first created an arc that matched the window shape. I brought that into a separate file and using the arc created a curved wall and then gave it two sides and a back (to create a room). I then created a second floor that did not include the curved wall. I can then autobuild the roofs and get a standard boring radius roof that is isolated to the first floor above the bow. Pitch was 20:12 and segments were 7 1/2 degrees rather than the standard 15.

Now I have the static roof - so I take the two middle planes (which are the tallest) and I convert them to curves with ridge angle of 90. That works ok - but when you try that with the adjacent planes, which gradually are smaller as you get to the ends, pythagoras kicks in and the numbers start going crazy - with complex stuff my brain cannot work out. And the roof planes then do not join and begin to do strange things. I also think when I look at the picture that the very end is somehow turned back in at 90 degrees to get the look right.

So I thought solids would work but its very labor intensive - it takes about an hour to create the roof using solids and if I have to change it I can't because solids don't like to be scaled. Even after the hour its still not "right"

But thanks for the quick reply! - BTW I'm on X5 - did not update my status.
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB

It sounds like you are on the right path. But I would argue with your statement that each successive roof plane gets shorter. I would think every roof plane is the same with the exception of the two planes at each end which maybe half the width of the others.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

On second thought, I may understand the Pythagoras issue....... Dog gone it, this is a good one.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I took a look, I have not idea how to do this.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I wonder if you could make a molding profile with the cross section of the roof and make a molding polyline and tweak it so that it fakes a roof?
    Jason McQueen
    -----------------------------------
    Max Force PC - Intel i3570K @ 3.4GHz+, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 660 2GB, 120GB SSD+1TB HDD, 23.5" LCD
    Win 8 Home (Classic Shell) / CA X5

Wow That's a good one. I kinda sorta got some roof planes to kinda sorta look like the OP's Bell Roof but kinda sorta is being kinda sorta kind about the attempt. I could find no way to actually join the roof planes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell Roof test.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	56356

Plan here which may or may not help.

Bell Roof 2.zip
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen3D View Post
    I wonder if you could make a molding profile with the cross section of the roof and make a molding polyline and tweak it so that it fakes a roof?
    I thought of that. The problem with that it gets back to the idea that is is an ever changing pitch because the center point of the roof is not in the same location as the center point of the bow window.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

ok rich, does this similar to your need, you did it as i c the pictur, or am i missing the exact problem to be solved?
    http://www.chieftalk.com/attachment....0&d=1352935240
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

That's close Yusuf but the bay window is an ellipse not a half circle. That's why the molding method can't work as Scott pointed out.

I think Larry is on the right path.

maybe this could work?...

Try making a room shaped liked a football in a separate plan.
    (Use the same arc for the room perimeter as your eliptical bay is using.)

Set the pitch on the auto roof at something steep ....like 30 in 12.

Copy half of the auto generated roof and paste it into your plan over the bay.
    Maybe it can be shaped against the gable end wall by making each section hit at the center.

It's going to be tough because there's a lot of manipulating involved. And it probably won't match but at least you could place a roof over the bay.

The 2D views can be faked with CAD work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bay window roof.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	56363  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

hmmm thanks. My assumsion was correct. You verified
    Thanks vhampton. Already posted here.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....373#post457373
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Seems to me as if there is roof shape warping going on. It is most apparent in the copper-roofed segments that lie against the wall. Chief cannot do warped roofs. You can model such a thing in Sketchup and import it. Good thing you don't want to shingle-texture it. Chief would make a mess of that, as the surface is all triangulated as is a terrain surface.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage