Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

the muesium

the garbage of the muesium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	56517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	56518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	56519  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

machine parts!

thanks to chief incorporation.
    this is enough evidence(for me, may not be for others)
    that ca can handle a lot.
    my diffence to manipulate space cordinate system by correlating different tools
    of chiefarchitect(not cheap architect! as some say with little understanding to the blessed software)

Name:	g55557.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	56524  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Nice work!
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    Nice work!
    like!
    Hummm sure? thanks doug,
    You made it to to be as such powerfull.
    A lot more can be done,you know it well.
    Thanks
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yeah, but how are you going to dimension and detail these pretty pictures for real world use?
    Live sections are seriously lacking in Chief. Granted, he's head's and tails above my geomtric and cad skill level-BB

Oh, and while he's at it, can he show us how to draw and model a geodesic dome.
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Bradley; thanks and i dont think chief lacks the capabilty of dimentioning a model you have done with it.
    Ok, geodesic domes? just a little more explanation or if some one can just help get his point.
    I believe the concept i put above can help.
    and with due care ca can handle some more using 3d Molding p lines and curved roofs.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

dome great circles outline dimensioned, i gues this is part of the isues raised by bradley.
    Thanks

Name:	ge d pic.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	56770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ge d pic 1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	56771  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

A geodesic dome can easily be done in Chief; but the geometric construction must be done with cad lines. Once the geometric layout is complete the roof planes can be snapped to the layout lines, and then transform/replicated to complete the structure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME PICTORIAL.JPG 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	56774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME TOP VIEW.JPG 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	56775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME ELEVATION.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	56776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome framing.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	56777
    Last edited by billemery; 12-07-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    A geodesic dome can easily be done in Chief; but the geometric construction must be done with cad lines. Once the geometric layout is complete the roof planes can be snapped to the layout lines, and then transform/replicated to complete the structure. This would be a good tutorial video-Chief? Scott?(that's ok Scott, I'm in awe of how you're able to do all your quick vids and still make a living and you are forgiven in advance if you don't make a dang dome vid)-BB

Name:	DOME PICTORIAL.JPG 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	56774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME TOP VIEW.JPG 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	56775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOME ELEVATION.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	56776
    Some of you guys can really kick arse (you and Yusef this time, thanks). I was just thinking about it being possible with roof planes. I think having seen yours, that I would draw the plan using knee walls with a temp ceiling hgt of whatever I wanted for the knee walls, even zero and making the walls invisible.

I actually have a real world application and may have to give it a shot once I figure out the geometry of the existing dome that a client wants to demo or remodel. Thanks to Yusef for getting my attention and for your(Bill) excellent input. Regards-Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

despite its apparent complexity, this is a very simple model.

There are only two triangle sizes involved here; with side lengths A,A,A, and side lengths A,B,B

There are a total of (40) triangles total, (30) A,B,B, and (10) A,A,A

Groups of five A,B,B, triangle form the basic pentagonal building blocks, while the A,A,A triangles fill in the voids between the pentangles.

All vertices are either A, or B, however, all but the horizontal vertices are fore shortened in plan view.

The regular polygon tool set for five sides, and ten sides at specific side lengths greatly speeds up the construction.

Attached is a plan file of the dome and its construction for anyone who might want to explore this.

Name:	dome layout.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	56778
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by billemery; 12-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Bradly the above post was just to show the basics of dome circles,
    both of you did nice jobs.i like it.
    But I just had some more for you to share.
    the skylight and roofs as you c attached.
    sky lights touch the roof surface exactly on nodal basis. triangular projection of domes is perfect in ca as you can observe.

Name:	ge d pic 5.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	56784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ge d pic 2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	56783  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

I actually have a real world application and may have to give it a shot once I figure out the geometry of the existing dome that a client wants to demo or remodel
    ------------------------------
    Bradley let us know what spscifically you need.
    Hope this helps.
    and scott's videos r very intersting and contributes a lot in the forum, hopefully he is working on this as he always did, helping users digest easy way out.

Name:	ge d pic 3.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	56785  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Quote Originally Posted by billemery View Post
    despite its apparent complexity, this is a very simple model.

There are only two triangle sizes involved here; with side lengths A,A,A, and side lengths A,B,B

There are a total of (40) triangles total, (30) A,B,B, and (10) A,A,A

Groups of five A,B,B, triangle form the basic pentagonal building blocks, while the A,A,A triangles fill in the voids between the pentangles.

All vertices are either A, or B, however, all but the horizontal vertices are fore shortened in plan view.

The regular polygon tool set for five sides, and ten sides at specific side lengths greatly speeds up the construction.

Attached is a plan file of the dome and its construction for anyone who might want to explore this.

Very generous of you Bill, thanks. Did you just do this or had you done one before?

I can't recall ever having really learned to construct a geodesic in any of my architecture classes in the 70's although I do remember being exposed to it at some point since we did learn a bit about Bucky Fuller. I never thought they mastered the roofing aspect of the domes by using shingles, always reminded me of replacing a vinyl top on a car or roofing an Airstream with shingles.

Some sort of metal pans or fiberglass panels with waterproof seams would be more architecturally apropriate. Even some sort of monolithic coating like they do with the concrete domes in Texas.

Certainly apprciate the guidance here(and yours also Yusuf).-Brad

Name:	dome layout.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	56778
    Oops, I put my message into the quote and now have to type 10 characters for it to submit.-BB

Bradley, tthanks for the kind words.
    I am happy it helped.
    my plan is too large to post here. I am wondering how to minimize the size! i will give a try or help me how to do.
    some thoughts comes to me now.May be i have to change the template plan if it works.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Hi Bradley,
    I live in a fairly rural area, and virtually all of the residential domes, mostly 1960-1980 era, are wood framed with comp roofs, with the cap shingles covering the joints. It's a system that seems to have stood the test of time. The only other ones I see are old radar domes that have no metal fastening (for the same reason that you would never put a fork in a microwave oven); these are generally constructed of wood, and weatherproofed with fiberglass and epoxy resin.

This is my first dome construction so I had to do a little homework, but the math has all been worked out for various dome configurations so it not like I had to re invent the wheel.

As far as I know no one on the forum has shown a geodesic dome using roof planes. ArchiJeff2000 has imported dome symbols into Chief by way of sketchup using a program that generates domes.

In the end the process of creating the dome was much simpler that I would have imagined.
    Last edited by billemery; 12-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net