Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A really dome tips.

domes in side chiefarchitect. Get the tips here. If you need it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome 1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	56332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	56333  
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott, i have seen the above. it is great, he did it very good, i did not look in to the problem he raised, but i gave it a try what i thought he wanted. i did not download the plan attached( concept is clear in the picture),
    i did this by curving inward the individual roof planes arranged radially, i coudnt figure out what exactly he has the doubt.
    Any way if this solves, also i will post the symbol in 3ds format.
    Thanks

Name:	bell.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	56360  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    Scott, i have seen the above. it is great, he did it very good, i did not look in to the problem he raised, but i gave it a try what i thought he wanted. i did not download the plan attached( concept is clear in the picture),
    i did this by curving inward the individual roof planes arranged radially, i coudnt figure out what exactly he has the doubt.
    Any way if this solves, also i will post the symbol in 3ds format.
    Thanks
    Nope, that ain't it. Your roof is based on a center point that is not consistent with his problem. You must understand that his bow window has a center point somewhere inside the house whereas his center point for his roof is on the exterior face of exterior wall. This would require a series of roof planes with ever changes pitches, this the reference to Pythagorius.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott plse post screen shot of the plan( the top view just line drawing sketch) if possible,since i dont have x5. But my bell shaped roof has a half circular periphery and concentric small semi circle on the peak. The center of both circles is exactly on the outer face of the wall. Basically when viewed from top it is two concentric circles whose centers is in the mid point of the line it coincides with the exterior face of the wall.it is known that the sum of the radial angles is =180 degree and the the shape of each individual roof planes is the same through out. as the radial angle gets near to zero the area is nearly the area of the trapizium. Therefore i can assure you the symbol i made out of this can give us any other equation other than circular top and equall division(the same area). I mean by stretching the x and y you can make it coincide the elliptical,hyperbolic, parabolic and any other practically useable mathematical equations having also varying z you can get the space object you may need. So then in the top view you can observe the changing shape(geomety and area) of the panels from the 90 degree to both sides(0 & 180 degree) gradually.
    Thanks
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Dome and bell symbols
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    ..... Basically when viewed from top it is two concentric circles whose centers is in the mid point of the line it coincides with the exterior face of the wall. .....
    Wrong, the center of the bow window is different than that of the roof. Please build it to prove your point and post the plan.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Ok doag park will clarify it to us hopefully, i can prove i did nothing wrong, and i insist what i said is correct by it self.what we r talking here is a bell shaped roof and more of the capability of roofs in chief in the creation of symbols.
    Doug park; first i would thank the ca programmers ang engineers for this ultimately flexiable software, just give us here a thought about my post above space obgect generation.
    Some said this can not be done in chief while i did it in ca.
    Some more for instance the bell it self.

Name:	bell c.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	56408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell a.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	56409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell b.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	56410  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

I'm not quite sure what the question is here. Most of the time when someone say's something can't be done in Chief they are really just saying they don't know how to do it.

I think the roof that was originally being talked about was an ellipse on the base going to a point at the top. While I'm certain that with a lot of work one could approximate that roof using flat planes or small pieces of curved roofs, it would be very difficult to do so in Chief.

Of course one of our smart customers may prove me wrong. I've seen some really clever solutions to problems using Chief that I would never have thought of myself.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

---------Therefore i can assure you the symbol i made out of this can give us any other equation other than circular top and equall division(the same area). I mean by stretching the x and y you can make it coincide the elliptical,hyperbolic, parabolic and any other practically useable mathematical equations having also varying z you can get the space object you may need. So then in the top view you can observe the changing shape(geomety and area) of the panels from the 90 degree to both sides(0 & 180 degree) gradually.
    Thanks
    ______________________________________-

doug i just tried it and after the one with circular base is done.
    then creating a synbol out of that can be fixed as elliptical or any other equations as i said above.
    in depth the mathematical relation ship between circle and ellipse makes the spescific isue a best fit.
    i attached the the ellipse over lapped and other explanatory pictures.
    that is my suggestion.
    the three bell shapes are a product of roofs and creating a molding, i believe almost a lot of space objects can be done with it.
    thanks.

Name:	elliptic roof symbol.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	56414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elliptic roof.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	56415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	el roof.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	56416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radial roofs.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	56417  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf, would you mind posting the plan so I can study how to do this.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Oh scott i was just away for a while. Sorry for the late responce. I really dont mind sharing it, i will post it, unfortunately power failure happened even though before power loss i was trying it to attach, i dont know but the file itself was too large to post, no problem just short steps to do it.
    1- draw a circle using cad
    2- then draw radial lines with an iterval of (7.5/15 degree) degree to sum up the 180 degree and get accurate segments
    3 then draw a cord of one segment where two llines intersect the circle( it is just the baseline)
    4 draw the roof there and make it parallell to the radial line
    5 adjust the curvature, so in plan view, so you will c a triangle if you just reach the center other wise a trapizium. View it in 3d. if ok finally copy and reflect it about the side line and proceed by group sellecting
    Then it is done.
    6 create the symbol
    ........play with it finally.......more you will appreciate how it works.
    in some complicated objects you may use subtracting a polyline from the the roof plane( an important relationship between roof and closed pollyline is a big trick when shaping a roof)
    That is all of the tips to reach that.
    doug; i have an idea of the elliptic roof. i did not try it yet, but hopefully it may work.
    Just the reverse process after overlapping the symbol with the ellipse cad. then draw the base lines of the roof segments according to the varying segments formed by the symbol, one side done manualy then reflect these by groupsellecting it and most likely it may work.
    Mobile browsing has spell check limitation.
    I ask excuse for it.
    Thanks
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

But Yusuf, you said draw a circle. We are talking about an ellipse. That is what this is all about. A bell roof that is an ellipse in plan view with ever changing roof slopes.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

dear scot, to draw ellipse what r the procedure you follow when drawing it by hand using set square?. I remember during school maths ellipse is composed of 4 arc segments of a circle, so starting by circle is the basics, plus the mathematical equtions of ellipse is derived fom a circle's if i am not mistaken. believe me that is the way i did what u c in the above posts. try it you will get the result.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

How many different roof planes did you use? Does each roof plane have a different pitch. If so how did you determine the different roof pitches? Trial and error?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX