Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chief and Win 8 tablet

Anyone know if Chief or one of it's smaller siblings will work on a Windows 8 tablet? I'm just looking at it to be able to layout existing conditions and then export it to my Desktop.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor

Mark
    do a search there was a recent thread where I think it was Dermmott from CA explained which tablets would work.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

No luck, only tablet references came up from 2007
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor

Mark,

I remember the thread, and Doug Park said that Chief should run on tablets that run true Windows 8, not Windows 8 RT, which runs on an ARM processor.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Dave:

I tried a search on ARM and that thread is missing (along with many others - I think ???)

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Mark I would also like to know as well, and from seeing the video on the CA app for apple it looks like we will get an app for windows from what I have seen. There is a thread in on the Home Designer site about Tablet Apps. have you seen the Room Planner from CA website yet?
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

I am getting a Samsung ATIV tomorrow. I will try and post the results as this is the first program that I will be installing. Wish me luck!
    Retina Macbook Pro 2.7 / 16GB Ram / NVIDIA GT 650M with 1GB

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I am getting a Samsung ATIV tomorrow. I will try and post the results as this is the first program that I will be installing. Wish me luck!

Looking forward to it.

I'm not really looking to design on Chief with a tablet, but i would like to be able to input data that is transferable to chief.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor

The tablet can run chief X5 and it works great with the touchscreen for on the field-drawing. 3D works well with the HD4000. I'm not sure how larger plans will run in 3D. The menu system seems to have a problem with touch. The easiest example I can describe is when selecting the walls menu, i have no problems selecting the wall type that I would like to use. If I go to a different menu (measurements), the touch won't allow me to select anything else but what is there by default (the measure tool). If I attache the keyboard, then i have no issues selecting what I need from the menu system with the built in touchpad.

I can't really point fingers, but I think it may be that chief needs to optimize their program for touch. I only say this because the touch works flawlessly on all other programs that come with WIN-8. There is another program, (1-password), that has some touch hiccups as well. This is also non-microsoft.

If this small issue is fixed, than I believe everything else functions very well when using Chief with a tablet.

If you want me to post a video showing the issues, let me know.

I just saw an article on a new iPad compatible "Pen" for use instead of fingers. It supposedly makes accuracy much easier to achieve as well as making it easier to select menu items.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Setting up Chief to work well with touch gestures is something we need to look at. However, what you are describing doesn't seem like something we have much control over since menus are entirely controlled by the OS.

I still have issues on my iPad in safari with certain operations.

You may find a stylus of some kind to be useful.

While I think that the future is going to be tablets, I also believe that some operations are simply never going to be easy to do with your fingers.

We invented pens and and pencils with sharp tips ages ago because drawing with our fingers tends to be imprecise.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

If we would like to use a chief product on a tablet in order to import to our desktop, do we need to buy another license. Can we use one of the homeowner grade chief products on a tablet and import the basic existing info into chief premier on our desktop.
    Mark
    No. Calif.
    using X3, X4,X5

I7 -2600, 16GB
    ATI Radeon 6850
    24" LG monitor

Mark:

If chief will install on the tablet then you can use the same license

just deactivate on PC A first then activate on PC B

reverse the process to switch back to PC A

yes, you can use the HD products and then import the .plan into chief
    you can even edit the .plan file in chief and then edit in the HD product

with some caveats - such as some chief features that are missing in the HD product would be read only

also you need to ensure the HD product is a sub-set of the chief product being used

X5 = 2014

X4 = 2012

X3 = ver 10

etc
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I made a quick video so that you can see what I am talking about. It works pretty flawlessly on most everything else, except when trying to select icon menu items. For example, when selecting the wall type, i have no problems selecting the first three wall types via touch/pen. Anything else is non-selectible.

Please try to see the video in HD and fullscreen if possible. I had a hard time taking video of a computer screen so it's a bit blurry.

https://vimeo.com/54172053

If this is resolved, windows/chief, then i think we will have a really usable version of CA on a tablet for field work.

Mark,

Have you tried using the Parent/Child toolbars instead of the Drop Down?
    Theoretically that should work better because you are then picking child icons and not menu items.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 11-23-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD