Thread: Help needed.

Help needed.

Hello

I recently made the move from AutoCAD to Chief Architect X5 and have using the software for about three weeks.

I am currently at a standstill and I am unable to locate a proper solution to my problem.

On standard AutoCAD, I would have this issue solved in about five minutes so this endeavor has left me frustrated. I am sure there is a simple solution out there.

Anyways, what I am trying to do is create a tower entry with a plate height of 12'-0". For reference, the plate height for the rest of the house in 9'-0".

Below is the PDF file of the of the elevations of the model home we build. Focus on the tower entry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elevation ex.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	56285

With this being the current plan I have in X5. As you can see, the column on the left side is complete, but the one on the right which will be built over the roof as a pony wall is not there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca elev ex.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	56283

How do I build the rest of the tower entry?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by maxdesigner; 11-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Where you want the tower element you need walls to build the roof on. You can either create invisible walls or in this case you will probably end up making them attic walls where they are over the main roof area. This will enable you to have the walls to support your roof without needing to break them on the first floor. When you build the roof planes you will need to adjust the roof planes up by adjusting the numbers for the baseline of the roof planes in the roof dbx. This may be sounding complicated now but once you do it once you will do this in 3 minutes in CA instead of 5 minutes in ACAD. I am in my office for the next short while if you want to call I can walk you through this. 831-747-4718

You could also create a 2nd floor for the tower area only with a shorter ceiling height for the tower room; call the 2nd floor open below; then you should be able to easily do what you need done. You could even do all that with polyline solids and place your roof over them at the correct elevation.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I did this using a 2nd. floor as mentioned with doorways. There are a couple of ways I can approach this depending on the model.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towered entry.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	56286
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Thank you for taking the time to reply and I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

I am going to experiment with these suggestions, and if all else fails, I will return here for more assitance.

Tom