Revit into CA X5

Hello,

I am likely starting a project with a developer who has his home plans in Revit. I need to either create my own plans based on his plans to create 3D renders and walk throughs or I would like to import his Revit plans into CA X5 to save him money and me a whole lot of time creating something that already exists.

I have not worked with any other Architectural software except CA. I noticed after a search on this forum there seemed to be a method to do exactly what is mentioned above through the import function but I wasn't sure if it was just the drawings or can the building actually be created in CA such that a full 3d building be created, textured, and "materialed". I need to export 3ds and vrml files out of CA for rendering in 3rd party software.

If someone would care to shed a bit of light into my limited understanding it would be much appreciated.

Second quick question, has anyone had experience to get a specific manufacturer to "list" their materials into the library inside CA?

Thanks,
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

Hi,
    I am currently working on a project with an architect who works in Revit. Our firm is handling the kitchen and bathroom designs. After reading through the postings here, I chose to import his file in .dwg format, freeze the layers, and trace his walls, windows, etc. I then dimensioned and matched my dimensions to his. I then unfroze his layers and turned them off. This was pretty quick.

Regarding manufacturer's catalogs, I was successful in connecting the cabinet maker we use, Pennville Cabinetry, with Chief Architect. I contacted each separately at first and then connected the two via email. I am in the process of trying to do the same thing with Miele Appliances.
    Hope this helps.
    Susan
    Susan C
    X5 Premier
    X4, X3
    MacBook Pro 15"

Good info Susan,

We're in the process of trying to find what is the best solution. He mentioned that he can also send me the floor plans exported out of AutoCAD.

Can anyone chime in which format might be better for what I'm trying to do?

I don't necessarily have to have an EXACT footprint of his floor plans, typically +/- 2 in perhaps for a typical wall location....of course the more exact the better...but I simply need to get a 3ds and vrml file out of CA to build the model into a format that can be rendered beautifully....and I'm looking for the most cost effective method...Revit or AutoCAD or do I simply need to trace over an existing properly dimensioned "picture" of his plan in CA and effectively build in CA from scratch? I do this already for pencil plans....but it seems a waste to have all this digital info and not be able to glean some info into saving a customer money.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

Ivan:

it is my understanding that to get a 3D model in Chief you will need to "start over"

tracing over the 2D from Revit or Autocad can be rather quick but from there you need to setup chief manually to get your 3D to look properly

then and only then can you get a good export from chief for use in 3rd party products

if the model is already built in Revit you should be able to export 3ds and vrml files
    for rendering in 3rd party software without needing to use Chief at all ???

I could be wrong about this but that is my current understanding.....

Chief does have a "Cad to Walls" tool but I haven't heard on anyone really having any success with it

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Susan, FYI. In Sketchup, Revit, etc.

http://www.bimstop.com/profile/miele/

jon
    Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz/OC @ 3.1GHz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM
    1.5TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (332.21)
    3GB VRAM
    2X ASUS VN247H-P
    Wacom Intuos 4
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    HDA 10 & HD Pro 2012
    Chief X5 & X6 w/SSA
    A note pad and #2 pencil

My Facebook

Ivan,

I just did my first trace over of dxf plans in CHief. As mentioned it is pretty straight forward. You put the plan filr on it's own layer and lock it and then trace over. Chief still snaps to the wall corners. I also had elevations in CAD detail windows to reference. Make sure you get info on the wall make up so you can match yours to it.

Good luck!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Jon,
    Thank you for the link to the Miele BIM models. I work in CA, not in Revit however and I don't think these will work for CA, will they? I was told that CA does not support the industry standard for BIM.
    Susan

p.s. Update:
    I figured out that BIMStop allows me to download in .skp format and I did download a file. However, I was not able to open it because .skp format does not open in the 64 bit version of CA. Therefore, to use these models, I would have to go back to the 32 bit version of CA.
    Susan C
    X5 Premier
    X4, X3
    MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by SusanC View Post
    . However, I was not able to open it because .skp format does not open in the 64 bit version of CA. Therefore, to use these models, I would have to go back to the 32 bit version of CA.
    Unless I misunderstood others here, once you bring the sketch-up symbol into chief in 32 bit and 'convert' it to Chief symbol it is then usable in the 64 bit version. I'm sure a quick search in the forum will yeild the details.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Karl:

you are correct

any objects placed in the 32-bit library are also placed in the 64-bit library

hmmm, they may even be the same library ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew
    32 bit and 64bit use the same library assuming same version of course.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

2 days ago I completed my first dwg file import into CA and built a model. I was pretty impressed. I increased the "snap" area and went to work snapping the exterior walls into place on 2 floors. Since the client was only looking for 2 walls on an exterior view, I only added those items required on those walls, clicked a couple walls to be gables, changed two roof pitches, added a fence, trees a couple shrubs, and all in place in 25 mins. Quite a time saver for sure building the walls....now if only I could get it to set default values and kitchen tables, make custom tile in the master bath, and if the alarm clock should be set on the left bedside table or the right.....

Thanks for the tips folks, much appreciated.

Ivan
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    8GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca