Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Hybrid View

The notion that you can save money by drawing the home yourself is something of a fools gold. Simply, you don't know what you don't know. Some designers out there can reasonably design homes, but if you think the difference between an architect and you is mostly the ability to use CAD - then you may want to study and read up on some books before you set off on your project so you can appriciate this is not the case. The architect can pay for himself 10x over in many situations. A good designer can save you some money, but I would be very picky on who you choose, and good designers end up charging close to what an architect would ultimately charge. If you are using a "designer" who is cheap and has all the time in the world for your project - there is probably a reason for that. You want to use the architect/designer who you need to schedule for, since it shows he does something other people like. If you do go the architect route, make sure you choose an architect that at least "specializes" in residential and has a good portfolio in the type and style of home you want to end up with - some architects are "locked" into a certain style, and you may find yourself being bullied (i hate to use that word, but many clients feel this way with some architects).

In general, it is hard for me to see someone buying CA to design 1 home. I'd buy one of their less expensive design products to help you start to envision what you want, but leave the real drawings to a professional. If you insist to not hire an architect, I would look through plan books, buy the rights to a plan closest to meeting your needs, and then make the "changes" you want to personalize the design. At least this way you are starting with a professional framework. If you end up doing something too funky, you can destroy your investment in that resale value of your home may greatly hurt.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    The notion that you can save money by drawing the home yourself is something of a fools gold. Simply, you don't know what you don't know. Some designers out there can reasonably design homes, but if you think the difference between an architect and you is the mostly the ability to use CAD - then you may want to study and read up on some books before you set off on your project so you can appriciate this is not the case. The architect can pay for himself 10x over in many situations.
    Johnnyprc, I have now given up getting sucked into these discussions. What seems so obvious to you or me or anyone who has some level of formal design training is never going to be understood by someone who hasn't. (This is like trying to tell someone who is walking out of the house with a plaid shirt and striped pants that maybe they should reconsider. If they don't see the issue in the first place, they just think you're being an arrogant aesthete.) There is virtually no way to convince someone who is pleased as punch about their mediocre design that it could have been much, much better, and often they resent the comment. (Especially when this forum gives so much enthusiastic support to beginners.) Granted, many of the folks here do about as good work as a first or second-year architecture student, but that is not necessarily something to be inordinately proud of, nor something I personally would want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to immortalize, but there you go. Also, everyone has an incompetent architect story to justify their position. So probably better to save your breath. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Richard, your statement in itself is arrogant. There are people around that are better than yourself and always will be. Learn to live with it, You'll be happier. It's really about pleasing the client not each other.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    It's really about pleasing the client not each other.
    Feel free to read the client testimonials on my website.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I thought I would wade in here and add my 2c worth.

I beleive the core to design is an ability to visualise something that does not exist and translate it into something that can be built. The ability to visualise can be refined but if it is not there in the first place it cannot be taught.
    On the other hand construction detailing and building are technical skills which can be taught.

Someone who has good visulisation skills may be able to produce a good design without training but they are most unlikely to be able to produce an acceptable set of construction documents.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Marty,
    Interestingly, my attitude is just the reverse. I think the ability to design well CAN be taught, even if it's not there in the first place. However, I don't think self-teaching is generally realistic for this. I see this as a separate talent from the ability to visualize, which Chief can overcome. Shouldn't confuse the two abilities.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Feel free to read the client testimonials on my website

Richard:

we can all say that

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Feel free to read the client testimonials on my website

Richard:

we can all say that

Lew
    I don't think Perry can say that in good conscience, because I can't even find his website. In fact, I can't even find P.H. Designs LLC listed as an actual limited liability company with the California Sec. of State. Maybe Perry can clarify.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Richard:

point conceded

I'll change it to "most of us can say that"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Richard, I'm sure your testimonials are good. That's not what it about. I'm sure everyone here want to think they can do whatever it takes to get a good design to work even as good as you can. No one here likes to be put down and ,you never know, they might have more experience and talent than you or me. From what I can see here, there are a lot of very talented people here and I applaud it. No one is inventing a new architecture, except for the real freaky stuff, There isn't much anyone can do that others can't, except how to get that design down on paper using Chief, with all the workarounds. Now that's talent.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Never had a web site , never needed one. I have plenty of work and more work is something I don't want. As for the llc , I have been paying taxes for many years, so I'm not sure what your problem is. Now you act like a child.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I would sooner tell someone to proceed building themselves (as their own contractor), but have an architect, then to have a builder/contractor but no architect. A good set of prints that can be followed by any qualified subcontractor. Although I will add that this is a sticky position for an architect to do in Washington State. Many states want to try and make the architect the contractor (prime) if they are too involved in the project - answering questions onsite with the subs. The architect needs to follow the local law and place a steel curtin between the subs and himself, making sure he goes through the owner. I learned this the tough way, just how picky they are.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Richard, Checked, it's there, you just have to Spell it right with caps P H Designs LLC make sure your spaces are correct also
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Richard, Checked, it's there, you just have to Spell it right with caps P H Designs LLC make sure your spaces are correct also
    Yes, it is. Apparently, the official entity doesn't have periods in its name, the way you have it spelled here. My apologies.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Richard ,No problem. To be honest, I forgot exactly how I did it, it was so long ago.
    Last edited by perryh; 02-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor