Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I checked and a stamp is not required in my area...if i feel that i want a section reviewed i can use a licensed engineer for that.

OK, then you are "golden"....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

It will probably take you 5 years to really get to know this program

Joe:

I think CA would beg to differ with this statement

Know it well - yes - basically it is a never ending learning curve

know it enough to produce a reasonable model and a reasonable permit set

"not hardly"....

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    for most states it is illegal to review someone else's work product and then stamp it

it MUST be done by the stamper or under their direct supervision
    I think the intent of the law is to make "rubber stamping" illegal. Rubber stamping defined here as stamping for a fee, irregardless of the content.

I find it difficult to think that a legitimate engineer would be taken to court for actually reviewing a drawing drafted by someone not in their office, marking up the drawing with needed revisions and corrections, sending it back to the drafter to draw, then stamping the resultant, reviewed drawing.

If this were to happen, then it would basically be illegal for an engineer to hire drafting help at all. We all know that collaboration technology is not the same as it was 10 years ago.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
    Here in Canada the laws are different. Anyone can design a |Part 9| home design on their own. However, those houses are not architecturally pleasing and on the lower end of the low budget builds. For something that is designed with art, materials, and an actual budget in mind, a professional is the way to go.

But there is another way around this, CA does have a home owner version on their site. I would suggest you purchase it and then take the print outs to a professional & tell him/her this is what you want. I'd say about 5% of my clients have done that...and another 50% brought me napkin art! More importantly it allows you to play with the interior spaces and get it close to what you're thinking you would like to have. I am certain whoever you engage to draw will also give you things to consider.

Best of luck
    Rich Martin
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Residential Draftsman/Designer
    Really really fast Toshiba Computer with
    all sorts of bright lights and things that go "Bing!"

I find it difficult to think that a legitimate engineer would be taken to court for actually reviewing a drawing drafted by someone not in their office, marking up the drawing with needed revisions and corrections, sending it back to the drafter to draw, then stamping the resultant, reviewed drawing.

Dave:

the "key" is "direct supervision"

what you describe above could very well be acceptable
    just keep a "paper trail"

an architect licensed in 3 states said to me that "direct supervision"
    could be done solely by email if it could be documented that there was "proof" that the overall instructions came from the architect

sorry for being unclear about "direct supervision"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew is correct; however, since you don't need a engineer's stamp, it's a moot point. The engineer is your friend, you have a working relationship, what you pay him is irrelevant. It's your own house, go for it, have fun, learn the software, even if you 'loose' money, the personal reward may be worth it... You may even find a career in it, I did!

Bill
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

We've been building residential houses off of plans in my area drawn on 'napkins' for years with no problems. The code books are there for a reason, we are not building the "Empire State Building", get a grip!
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    sorry for being unclear about "direct supervision"
    No worries about that. In fact, that "subjective" phrase is probably the crux of it. If I were deciding, I would say that drawing (drafting) what is specified by the engineer would mean you are directly supervised by them, else the engineer would have to draft everything themselves.

A clear paper (email) trail is probably a good approach.

On the broader subject, I think that for the majority of people, having a design professional involved is critical for getting the best value. I've also seen first hand design professionals thinking they could actually build some portion of their project themselves to save hiring a professional tradesmen, and it showed. There are also good examples of amateurs designing and/or building nice work.

Good or bad outcomes; It goes both ways.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Just get the $50 version of Home Designer.

Play with it, if you like it, then get Chief.

That is really what I did. I bought some cheesy Better Homes and Gardens program to design houses. Turns out, it wasn't cheesy, it was really Chief. I drew and played with it, then sent to a friend when I wanted real prints, eventually.

Now, I am still no "Architect", but in our state, I draw, send it the engineer, he redlines, it, I put his redlines on the prints, he sends Calcs, the county is happy. Sometimes they want a letter from him that he engineered it, he did, and provides the letter.

Not rocket science. But any brain surgeon wouldn't be impressed either.
    James

James:

since the OP already has some cad experience and plans to do his own CD's
    I think he would be better served with $500 HD PRO

the $50 HD products are very limited to doing basic floorplans with the stock library objects

while the $99 or $199 HD products might be ok
    only PRO has manual roofs and manual cabinets and manual framing and a 1 page layout tool etc

plus the $500 cost is applied to the upgrade to chief Premier if the OP runs into PRO's limits - which he probably will

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Hello Preston,

You are in the right forum to ask this great question.

Yes, I believe that in the next 3 years you could work with Chief part time and become proficient enough to produce some drawings and then move on to the final stages.

Also, yes to your question regarding involving a professional Architect or Designer from the beginning. This will pay off both financially, psychologically and could save your marriage. No joke on the marriage. Building or remodeling a home is often one of the biggest challenges a relationship will face. I have done remodeling for a couple who were both therapists and they concurred.

Have you ever walked into a home and felt like you had just walked into a box with windows and moved from one box to the next? That was designed by a builder. Have you ever walked into a home and felt like your eye was guided where to look and the space welcomed you before exposing you to one surprise after the other as you flowed through the space? That was designed by an Architect.

This is not to say that you may not be a great designer and come up with a beautiful design with wonderful spaces. But, it is important to be honest with yourself. What is your design experience? Do you see well in 3d (without a computer aided model)? Is this a true passion or a cost savings (possibly a false notion) path?

I feel like these are the most important questions. Not whether you choose a $500 program or the legalities of stamping your drawings. And bear in mind, this is only my (rarely) humble opinion.

I wish you success with your project,
    Alan
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Nicely said Alan
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    Hello Preston,
    Have you ever walked into a home and felt like you had just walked into a box with windows and moved from one box to the next? That was designed by a builder. Have you ever walked into a home and felt like your eye was guided where to look and the space welcomed you before exposing you to one surprise after the other as you flowed through the space? That was designed by an Architect.

This is not to say that you may not be a great designer and come up with a beautiful design with wonderful spaces. But, it is important to be honest with yourself. What is your design experience? Do you see well in 3d (without a computer aided model)? Is this a true passion or a cost savings (possibly a false notion) path?

Alan

Pretty much says it ..

Thanks !
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

It is rare to meet someone that DOESN'T think they are capable of designing a house. Builders with the napkin plan mentality usually create the worst plans of all. It will result in a plan that is easy to build but not easy to live in. If someone has some cad experience, the way to same money on the plans is to do the construction docs as instructed by the professional designer. Most designers would probably admit that the docs are their least favorite part of a project.

Alan, let me echo Jere & Kevin and add very well said.

Preston,

I'll just relay my experience if you are just trying to save money on design costs it is simply a mistake, but if you desire the pride and exhilaration of creating something for yourself, including obtaining a permit to build then go for it. You certainly sound capable, just remember to seek not forsake advice. Oh and keep Alan's advice, that I am restating here, ever mindful.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc