Hybrid View

A know a local semi retired architect here was essentially rubber stamping drafter set plans. About two years ago he got a letter from the state requiring him to have "Direct Supervision" over plans he stamps, or they were going to pull his license.

However, that is very different from sending a set of plans to an engineer for their review/red-line, making the red-line corrections and then having the engineer stamp the plans. We use this process all the time with two different engineers we work with.

With regards to design, in general I would agree that a good designer and/or architect can add a lot off value to a project and we often work with them on projects and value their input and ability to add value and flow to a project. On the other hand the title of designer or architect does not mean your good at it. Over the years I have seen terrible plans from designers and architects. We have also seen great design ideas from homeowners, though most of the time they don't have the time or knowledge to put those ideas into a working set of plans. I got into the business 20 years ago by drafting and building my own first home with very little construction experience, and no design or drafting experience. If you have an eye for good design, a desire to do the project and you are willing to seek and take advice there is no reason you can't do your own plans. That being said, I'm not sure it will save any $ in the long run but it can be an enjoyable project if approached correctly.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

However, that is very different from sending a set of plans to an engineer for their review/red-line, making the red-line corrections and then having the engineer stamp the plans

Ben:

again, the key is direct supervision

too little and there could be a violation....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)