Hybrid View

Hi Preston,

Just want to encourage you to dive in and have fun. I literally fell into CA. I trained to design GPS approaches for airports and I studied to utilize the full Adobe suite to layer, our engineering data, mapping, and print. I completed this without formal training and on my own time. I unfortunately was transferred after our shop (at the real job) was closed up. Seven years later, and a move across the country I utilized those skills to solve some problems for my brother-in-law who had 3 nagging problems. I did this in about 3 hrs of work enjoying his company watching a hockey game. About a week later he asked me if I could fix another problem and suggested I use CA X4. I dove into it full throttle, spent 3 wks with 2-3 hrs sleep a night (plus kids, plus full time job) and was able to get "product" out to a developer after 3wks that he was happy with. I DO NOT do architecture...I simply use CA as a 3D modelling tool. You can see some of my latest work 6 months later (I did start with HD Pro 2012 and upgraded 3 months later after HD couldn't handle the file sizes and was limited in its export functions) on an earlier thread today.

Which brings me to the only advice I can give. Go through all the tutorials and work from there. Ask all the dumbest questions you want on this forum....people are great...and there are a few champions (Like Lew B. and others) who go over and above for you.

A suggested Order of manufacture:

1. External Walls.
    2. Internal Walls that define different floor and ceiling heights.
    3. Set those heights in 2 above along with roof zones (and internal walls if required).
    4. Remainder of Internal walls.
    5. Roof
    6. Windows, doors, etc.

...and go from there. Others may have a better idea or suggestions though....most of us here are constantly learning better and more efficient ways.

....and from the #10 motto from Lego Robotics First Lego League (my son loves it)....

HAVE FUN!
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca