Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

CA for future home builder/owner

Is it feasible for a person with some autocad and 3d modeling experience to purchase this product, learn how to use it, and design their entire own home to save on architect fees?

My wife and I would like to design our own custom home...I was thinking that I could use this software over the next 3-5years to design all aspects of our dream home while we are saving up for it.

Then when we have the money saved up we can print construction drawings, take to bank and contractors and start that process...does that plan sound realistic?

I know it depends on the state...but we will be building in the country (outside of any cities) will i have to have an engineer and achitect look over all prints? If so do you think it will be a problem finding someone to approve the entire design from a finished aspect? Or would i need to involve that person during the ground up phases?

Thanks for all your help everyone. I still havent decided if this software package is for me...but it sure looks sharp...and i am very good with learning software quickly...

Preston

Very good program, fun to use, I would recommend a pro to do the plans for you, but you can certainly play with it to get an idea of what you want to do. Is there another program that I would recommend over this one? No. This is probably the best program for your needs.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Hi there,
    as dshall said, it's a very good program and fun to use.

I am not an architect but use the program to build/renovate my own home and that of friends and family.

I always get the plans checked by a professional but it allows me to show what I want and they let me know if it's feasible on the structure side then I can design the layout I want.

It's great when I design the kitchen/bathroom and other room layout and see the surprise on the persons face..they can see what they are going to get and how it looks.

Get it, you wont be disappointed.
    London UK

Chief X4

Yes, you can save a ton of design fees doing the 'what if" game yourself

but, at the end you should consult an engineer or architect to ensure that your house is structurally sound and meets code

EVEN if your locality doesn't require it .....

they can't legally stamp your drawings
    but they could use them as a guide to do the "final version"

when you are done you could consider selling the software
    if the license is still current you can probably get back 70-80% of your cost

depending on your design needs you might consider starting with the HD PRO product for $500
    then upgrade to Chief Premier if you bump into PRO's limits ($500 is applied to the upgrade cost)

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Are you saying that an architect will have to redraw drawings required?

or can i share the autocad output of CA with them and they can put their title block and stamp on that?

I think I will be getting it...will be a pretty good sized investment just in software with the SSA and the software over 5 years...but i agree that it will probably be worth it...and if i can sell it and the upgraded version after the project it will be well worth it.

I am an engineering...having drawings for all that stuff will help with renovations, utilites and future site layout.

Quote Originally Posted by plwitt79 View Post
    or can i share the autocad output of CA with them and they can put their title block and stamp on that?
    This is illegal and unethical.

You could expect a professional to be willing to use your design as a basis to develop a set of drawings for construction. Unless you've tackled every code and structural issue (not to mention functional issues) there will likely be changes needed.
    Last edited by moak; 10-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Preston, Give me a call or email me if you like and we'll talk about it (no cost). BTW, we do plans all the time and depending on the Engineer, we'll give them dwgs of the plans, elevations, etc., and yes they will provide all the structural and attach their stamped plans to ours.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I have helped numerous persons develop their custom home designs, reviewing them, polishing into a bid set of plans.

The plans I help develop then go to general contractors, sub-contractors for bidding and cost estimation, Structural Engineers and financial institutions for gaining loans as necessary. I usually send the State Licensed Structural Engineer .dwg's of the floor plans and elevations which they then use to do their work of structural calculations and call-outs.

Some Engineers draw, some do not; by that I mean some do their own drawings using mine as a starting basis to design the foundation and other structural details of the home.
    It is not unusual for the engineer to then send me marked-up (called "red-lining") copies of my drawings to effect changes, corrections and additional annotations that he or she requires.
    Once those edits are then made he or she will stamp (approve) the results and those plans then become the "Permit Set" or construction set of plans.
    Over thirty years of doing this, such changes have not affected the design in any aesthetic or major way as to appearance.

It is a dynamic process that involves several State Licensed trades and professions to get a project done successfully.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-01-2012 at 08:33 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

That is a great response thank you David. That is kinda how i imagined the process going.

I also have a friend who is a PE structural engineer. I plan to have him look over the design (espeically things i think could be an issue) during the design phase. I also plan on him stamping for a small fee of $1.

If I design all aspects of this home myself over the next 5 years included interior design, landscape, electrical, HVAC, and site plan I am 95% certain i will save a ton of money VS hiring someone to do it.

..................I am 95% certain i will save a ton of money VS hiring someone to do it.
    Famous last words.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I also plan on him stamping for a small fee of $1

Sorry, still illegal and unethical in most states

if stamps are not needed then most states allow the homeowner to sumbit the permit and act as GC

if stamps are required then the work MUST be done by the stamper
    OR, under their DIRECT supervision (like David stated about red-lining)

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

If I design all aspects of this home myself over the next 5 years included interior design, landscape, electrical, HVAC, and site plan I am 95% certain i will save a ton of money VS hiring someone to do it.
    It will probably take you 5 years to really get to know this program - and then you also need to learn all about construction and design. Professionals - whether Achitect, Engineer or Building Designer - have years of training and experience. Those of us that have been using Chief for a long time are still learning new and better and faster ways to get the job done.

You could also save money by doing your own surgery - but the results would not be the same as what you would get from a real surgeon.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe...i do have experience with construction and design...and plan to collaborate with freinds and family that have been in the construction industry for years on things I am unsure of.

I also understand that generally as an architect you dont want a homowner or future home builder doing your job...that takes you out of the equation and the need for your services. Personally i would rather spend my time and "fee" for CA to design my home rather than having someone else do it. I dont want to pay an architect to do things that i can accomplish. I can just see my wife not liking the layout and needing 27 revisions before the house finalized. This will also help me save on hiring a interior designer as we can take pictures out of magazines or whatever and duplicate it to see how it would look in our house.

I am also of a generation in which i have been using software and computers my whole life. So when you say it will take me 5 years to get to know the program...i beg to differ. With the amount of training and support available these days im sure i can get a functional base model in 6 months or less.

Lbuttery...as far as your concerns...i totally understand what you are saying...but first i dont understand how that can be illegal? That person is still held responsible as its their stamp on whoevers drawing with their license number. Please explain why a fee of $1 would be a problem? I also stated to David that he was correct and his method of "red lining" is what i would prefer. I checked and a stamp is not required in my area...if i feel that i want a section reviewed i can use a licensed engineer for that.

final comment...i totally agree that not many people would put themselves in a situation to do all this work...but i enjoy a challenge and embrace a challenge...but more than anything the accomplishment when completed will be awesome and something to be proud of.

thanks everyone for the comments.

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    I also plan on him stamping for a small fee of $1

Sorry, still illegal and unethical in most states

if stamps are not needed then most states allow the homeowner to sumbit the permit and act as GC

if stamps are required then the work MUST be done by the stamper
    OR, under their DIRECT supervision (like David stated about red-lining)

Lew
    I imagine it would be illegal to stamp it without reviewing it but do you really think he would stamp it without checking everything? In which case he would just be doing his job (albiet much cheaper)...
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

I imagine it would be illegal to stamp it without reviewing it but do you really think he would stamp it without checking everything? In which case he would just be doing his job (albiet much cheaper)...

Jay:

check the licensing laws

for most states it is illegal to review someone else's work product and then stamp it

it MUST be done by the stamper or under their direct supervision

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051