Threaded View

already Yes,

I know this is a month old thread, but I'm one too that believes that anyone can do their own design if they so choose. Let's face it, most people simply don't have the apptitude, but some do. Recognize what you can do, have professionals do what you can't, either legally or otherwise.

I'm a GC and have been drawing in one program or another for 15 + years, but relatively new to Chief and drafting on my own behalf. Where I'm at, wet seals are required for all structual portions of the project, regardless of what that part is. I draw up preliminary plans, have the EOR I work with draw all the structural details then I coordinate what I have with what they specify. He reviews my stuff and vice versa and when we both are happy, they provide the structual sets, I provide the rest. Frankly, I've been doing this for a long time, so I already know what they will require, so we are never that far off to begin with. I have not seen any issues with this method, and don't believe it is in any way illegal or unethical.

Prior to my current life of residential remodeling and renovations, I was managing very large commercial aviation projects around the country. Primarily building hangars and FBO's. During that time, we had architects we worked with and engineers. As neither of those, I typically did much of the preliminary design work, and the architects made it legal and pretty. The reason for this was that early on it was apparent that the architect, talented as he was, had no idea of our business or what really mattered to us, and our business. How could he.

One example was a West Coast project where we had several wings planned as addition to our facilty that was also a LEED target project (LEED CI). The architect gave numerous plans that everyone hated. The flow and space use was simply not what we needed. I spent a Christmas vacation drawing it up and everyone loved it. Architect drew it up my way and our target LEED Silver for FBO and 2 hangars made LEED Gold. First at that time in the country. All the while I was, and still am not, an architect or an engineer. I found that by working closely with both, I could direct traffic and get what we wanted.

Later, we redesigned our core buildings (FBO's) in three typical size ranges depending on target. Through this same approach (my design layout), those in some configuration are still being built today.

Again, I think it comes down to apptitude. Not genetic by the way. My sister tried to design a new home for my folks some years ago and it was laughable. The garage was so out of proportion it was like the size of a basketball court. I redesigned it in CAD, we handed off to an architect in Panama, who made minor changes (mostly cosmetic) and we had it built about 5 years ago. That is worthy or another post all together as building anything abroad is a nightmare.

To the OP, if you are still around here, go for it. Sounds like you have plenty of time and the apptitude. (my caution to you though, required or not, have an engineer review the structual parts)

Now, if only I could get more apptitude with CA...............
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForceŽ GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, "Sun" Solar System, 22556