Hybrid View

I'm thinking I'm sorry I brought this thread out of retirement.

The OP said the following in post #1: "I know it depends on the state...but we will be building in the country (outside of any cities) will i have to have an engineer and achitect look over all prints? If so do you think it will be a problem finding someone to approve the entire design from a finished aspect? Or would i need to involve that person during the ground up phases?"

My opinion, AND only my opinion, is that given the criteria he put out there that some on here were simply trying to get him to run the other way. Given his multi year plan to work the design, layouts, and then consult engineer AND architect, I see nothing wrong with the idea. If it's crap, the EOR AND/OR engineer would correct it, but would have a very good strating point from where to proceed. You know, versus designing from the faucet up, which is admittedly harder and undoubtly more expensive.

It may never be up to some on this forums high standards, but if it works for the OP, then it works for the OP. Why discourage the attempt? Give advice, like, "do what you can , then have an engineer minimally and perhaps an architect work it over". Then leave it at that.

Somtimes it just gets too nasty here, on what should simply be a support forum. If you have an answer on a thread, and choose to share it, terrific, if not, move to the next thread. If your answer is condescending and negative, move on to the next thread.

Richard, with all due respect, you started your comment with this: "Johnnyprc, I have now given up getting sucked into these discussions." Then you got sucked in.

This is not an architect versus designer, versus contractor versus engineer forum. I know many, many fine examples of each, and have a lot of regard and respect for each.
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForceŽ GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, "Sun" Solar System, 22556

Given his multi year plan to work the design, layouts, and then consult engineer AND architect, I see nothing wrong with the idea.

Keith:

just for the record - some architects refuse to look at a clients plans or plans from the internet etc
    "it ruins their creativity" ....

I used to belong to the AIA in Wash. DC as an associate member
    they offer a monthly class "how to work with an architect"
    I attended a few - for the education

The Architect(s) made it quite clear that low-end residential projects would not be worth his time
    (this was before 2008)

so what is a homeowner suppose to do at that point?
    they seek out a designer or a design-build contractor

I do like the Kohler commercial where the clients hand the "famous" architect a faucet
    and say "can you build a house around this?"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)