Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by plwitt79 View Post
    If I design all aspects of this home myself over the next 5 years included interior design, landscape, electrical, HVAC, and site plan I am 95% certain i will save a ton of money VS hiring someone to do it.
    It will probably take you 5 years to really get to know this program - and then you also need to learn all about construction and design. Professionals - whether Achitect, Engineer or Building Designer - have years of training and experience. Those of us that have been using Chief for a long time are still learning new and better and faster ways to get the job done.

You could also save money by doing your own surgery - but the results would not be the same as what you would get from a real surgeon.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe...i do have experience with construction and design...and plan to collaborate with freinds and family that have been in the construction industry for years on things I am unsure of.

I also understand that generally as an architect you dont want a homowner or future home builder doing your job...that takes you out of the equation and the need for your services. Personally i would rather spend my time and "fee" for CA to design my home rather than having someone else do it. I dont want to pay an architect to do things that i can accomplish. I can just see my wife not liking the layout and needing 27 revisions before the house finalized. This will also help me save on hiring a interior designer as we can take pictures out of magazines or whatever and duplicate it to see how it would look in our house.

I am also of a generation in which i have been using software and computers my whole life. So when you say it will take me 5 years to get to know the program...i beg to differ. With the amount of training and support available these days im sure i can get a functional base model in 6 months or less.

Lbuttery...as far as your concerns...i totally understand what you are saying...but first i dont understand how that can be illegal? That person is still held responsible as its their stamp on whoevers drawing with their license number. Please explain why a fee of $1 would be a problem? I also stated to David that he was correct and his method of "red lining" is what i would prefer. I checked and a stamp is not required in my area...if i feel that i want a section reviewed i can use a licensed engineer for that.

final comment...i totally agree that not many people would put themselves in a situation to do all this work...but i enjoy a challenge and embrace a challenge...but more than anything the accomplishment when completed will be awesome and something to be proud of.

thanks everyone for the comments.