Terrain from .gpx track

Can't seem to generate a good terrain from a gpx file. I can import the gpx file and it has lots of points, but it will not create a smooth terrain. Is there something i should be doing differently. I included the gpx file if someone wants to try it. Any help would be great. THanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

So long and no replies. I still haven't reached the importing step because chief architect is complaining the it needs a *.gpx file version 1.1. But on the program Im using GPSTracka for windows mobile, there is the option to log in "Distinct points" or "Track". Maybe a similar option exists on yours:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3675818425_7c0df6f161_o[1].jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	58644

Did you ever get it figured out?

Quote Originally Posted by ARPcPro View Post
    So long and no replies. I still haven't reached the importing step because chief architect is complaining the it needs a *.gpx file version 1.1. But on the program Im using GPSTracka for windows mobile, there is the option to log in "Distinct points" or "Track". Maybe a similar option exists on yours:

Name:	3675818425_7c0df6f161_o[1].jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	58644
    Hello was wondering if you ever got it figured out? I am just starting to get into this GPX importing and would love to learn what you have figured out.
    Todd
    LOCKIE HOMES CUSTOM DESIGN BUILT, LLC
    Snohomish WA
    X5

Corsair Graphite Series CC600T Mid Tower Case
    Windows 7 64bit
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 Revision
    i7 2600k
    Intel 120GB 510 SERIES SSD Boot Drive
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1T 64MB SATAlll 6.0Gb/s X2 1 for Data 1 for Backup/CAD Files
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
    AMD Radeon HD 6950 X2, Dual Crossfire 2GB memory each
    Lite-On 12x Internal Blue Ray Writer
    Kingwig Mach 1 Modualr Power Supply 1220-Watt

Quote Originally Posted by talock View Post
    Hello was wondering if you ever got it figured out? I am just starting to get into this GPX importing and would love to learn what you have figured out.
    This feature on the demo videos looked amazing, but unfortunately I could not do anything usefull with it.
    I can capture the points and tracks on the phone GPS. Then I've used an online gpx converter to translate the gpx into the apropriate version understood by chiefarchitect. When I import it to chief, it just shows a plane polygon with an angle. It doesn't render the terrain like it should.

And the gpx was captured correctly because I convert it to *.kml and it load properly on google earth with the terrain detail.

That was my experience with this feature.

I was able to import the .gpx file and generate a terrain with no problems. I think the main issues you may be having are that the terrain is getting generated very far from the 0,0 origin and so it is tricky trying to get the 3D camera to view it properly. In the help section is says to Zoom Extents after creating the terrain, so that's how I found it and was able to zoom in and get my rotation orientation in the right place for that to be useful. But, you would want to move the terrain, once generated, close to 0,0 in the plan

The other main issue is that I think you have about 10-20 times the number of points necessary to generate a smooth terrain in Chief. In fact Chief doesn't do well with nothing but points for data. It does much better with less information and elevation lines vs. points. I would suggest generating far fewer points if possible in your GPS capture and then using elevation lines to "connect the dots" of similar or identical elevation points.

Name:	Import GPX.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	60666

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter