Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have Carbonite running most of the time and this has only happened on this one very large file. Perhaps a communications error between the software and Carbonite while its backing up? I dunno.

I haven't worked ion that file for a couple days and I've never seen it on any other file so it seems to be unique to that file. I'll recheck when I resume work on that file.

And as stated there seems to be no real consequences so I'll monitor.

And thank you very much for the replies and comments.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    I have Carbonite running most of the time and this has only happened on this one very large file. Perhaps a communications error between the software and Carbonite while its backing up?
    Larry,

Do you have Carbonite set to back up your Archive Files? That would explain it. I doubt that it's the actual file you are working on - most likely an automatic backup that Carbonite has the archive folder locked when Chief is trying to do an auto-backup.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Larry,

Do you have Carbonite set to back up your Archive Files? That would explain it. I doubt that it's the actual file you are working on - most likely an automatic backup that Carbonite has the archive folder locked when Chief is trying to do an auto-backup.
    It's not set to back up archive files Joe and I'm not that familiar with the technical aspects of how Carbonite works to comment much.

Again, only with this large (37meg) file. I can easily ignore it if it continues to cause no harm and it doesn't sound like it's an easy thing to track down.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

If the message shows up again, click on "Details" to see if it says what file. "More Info" might also help. I'm just curious.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Will do Joe.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

briem is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Larry,

Are you using SugarSync?

I've had the message a few times but I think it's maybe due to an archive file being locked. Really not sure since there's no detail.
    I get similar messages. I am using Sugar Sync and have noticed that files are locked at various times and I can't open them up. If I wait a few minutes, it seems to sort itself out.

I have also had several complete lockups while I am using the program and have had to shut Chief down. I should have plenty of horsepower and memory that this shouldn't be happening.
    Bob Riemenschneider
    Riemco Building Co.
    Chelsea, Mi
    ASUS G74SX Laptop, 12GB Ram, NVidea GTX560M with 3GB, Windows 7 Premium
    Chief Architect ver.8 - X6 Beta Premium
    www.riemco.com

When Chief saves a file it attempts to move the prior save to the archive directory first. If any other software has this file open for read the system can't move the file. It cannot delete the file to write over it either.

Interestingly this is a weakness of Windows that isn't a problem on Mac and pretty much every other operating system. Under Linux and Unix the file can be deleted from the filesystem so that it doesn't show up in the directory even if another process is using it. When the other process finishes with the deleted file it is then removed from the system. Under Windows the file system simply gives up.

It is an annoyance to me that the file system on Windows is so poor. It isn't even state of the art for 1980.

Sorry for the rant.

If you are going to run software to do backups it best to set it to run when you are not actively using the system.

It should be possible to create a more cogent error message.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Here's the details. Same (and only) large file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warning 2.PNG 
Views:	128 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	55964

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Here's the details. Same (and only) large file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warning 2.PNG 
Views:	128 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	55964
    Interesting.....

I do not even have a folder p4sync so I don't know exactly what's going on with your system. I'll have to check mine the next time it happens. Maybe if you know what that folder is on your system it will give you an idea of what other program may be interfering with Chief in this regard.

IAE, it indicates that Chief is trying to save to a specific location and can't find it.
    Windows 8.1

Certainly no folder by that name here either. Oh well. Just this one file is afflicted.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I just saw the same error reported in regards to exporting to DWG. I think CA needs to look at this - it's something I've never seen before X5 so there must be something there. That's a path that some code in Chief is generating and it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be doing so.
    Windows 8.1

Can it have something to do with this software?

http://www.perforce.com/products
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Can it have something to do with this software?

http://www.perforce.com/products
    Yes, it could - but I would think that it would be because CA was using that software internally and someone in the programming dept coded that specific path & file name for testing purposes. It shouldn't be in the X5 release.
    Windows 8.1

I see that occasionally also when hitting Save, and using SugarSync...I hit save immediately following and it works fine and everything continues on.....

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Larry,

I too have experienced this error message, but only once. It was on a plan that was started with X4, heavily modified, to create a 4th iteration from the original drawing.

At the time I didn't have an automatic online backup service (other than skydrive were I place completed drawings). This file will not auto save - period as you found out with your crash. I contacted support they suggested I do a saveas and change the filename slightly and that would solve the problem, it did not. I brought it forward to x5 again did a saveas but to no avail. I think sometimes a file just gets corrupted and there is no repair, at least, for a neophyte such as myself to make. I had too much work involved to discard the file, so my method of salvage is to make sure that I constantly manually save.

I'm sure I will be working on this plan in the future, the game plan will be to use an earlier version that does save and then see if I can copy/paste, or perhaps more correctly, cobble the file together from what I perceive to be the corrupted file.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc