Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Dennis:

you do

however, it is hidden and convoluted to get to that "choice" and there is no way to make it the default choice

so after each boot you have to do it all over again

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Just remember that if Win 8 boots into the new GUI it's a simple one click to get to the old style desk top. No need to worry about an interface we've never used or assume it will be too difficult for us to adjust to - or maybe there is.

I've never found it hard to learn new things and quickly adjust so I'll just assume Win 8 will be a little challenging at first but I'll learn quickly like I do with most everything.

I am going to purchase it for my wife's machine (for complicated reasons) and we'll learn together - kinda looking forward to it.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

What about finger prints on the screen? Initial look and then long term effect of oils on the screen?
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Larry:

it seems it easier to switch Win 8 to Desktop than I last remember reading

maybe MS listened ???

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive...d-desktop.aspx

when its time for me to get a new PC I will test out Win 8 myself and then make the decision

for now my 2008 Vista desktop and laptop are serving me well
    but my needs have ramped down since I went on disability

I'm also curious how well Win 8 will be received in the marketplace since I am reading so much negative press about it

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I just upgrade another (not Chief) computer to Win 8 and here's a quick review.

I purchased online and after Windows performs a brief evaluation of your system I downloaded the needed files. You can install Windows from DVD, a flash drive or from your desktop. I decided to install from DVD so I could have a copy for later updates etc.

Burned the DVD but Win 8 would not load. It hung somewhere early in the install and I did a quick web search and found that some DVD's have (or had) a problem loading Win 8.

I had some pretty old DVD discs so I decided to load to and install from a flash drive. You have 3 choices when installing. Keep your settings and applications, keep only your applications, or keep nothing. I decided to keep my setting and applications since I had very recently done a new OS re-install of Win 7 and also because it's something I would almost never do. I almost always start from a new formatted HD but this time I thought I'd try this out.

The install took about an hour on my older Q6600 with 4g of ram - longer than I thought but Win 8 does a really thorough job of keeping all your apps and files intact and I was pretty impressed with overall install process. All my apps and settings were preserved really well.

Now to the interface. The GUI that Win 8 boots to (was Metro) is, in a word, awful. But a qualified awful. With a mouse it's really hard to get around because most of the hot spots for doing things are in the corners, and those spots are very small and hard to locate with a mouse. As a touch screen you can really see the potential and with more apps and a little time it might even be spectacular

The stock apps that come with Win 8 are, in another word, useless (for me at least). You can check on travel to Africa, the weather in London, go shopping at the Microsoft store, photos, videos, games, sports, business, dancing bunnies, and all sorts of other disturbing garbage, all requiring some registration with a new Microsoft account. Got rid of them all.

The good news is you don't have to mess with ANY of the 'awfulness.' One click on one tile and your on the desktop ready to work or set up Chief as an app tile on the Metro GUI and one click there, you're ready to go. Really easy.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Part 2

The main reason I upgraded was because I had read that Win 8 was simply a better, more efficient OS and my old machine was getting a bit tired and I thought that for $39 I'd give it a try. So far no dramatic increase in performance but it has a very stable feel, just like what it is - a better Win7.

Should you upgrade from Win 7? I wouldn't unless you feel like playing with your computer and/or feel like the latest technology is important. (Or you have another compelling reason to get a new OS for $40 which is what I did and now I have a Win 7 license I can put on another computer, short version of a long story)

If you buy a new computer though, do not, and I repeat do not, worry about the interface (Lew ) It's a very simple trip from start to the desktop and there's even a program that duplicates and enhances the old 'Start' menu for $4.99

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Overall it's a pretty impressive OS that might be a little before its time. With more Win 8 apps, and porting to multiple devices i.e. tablets, phones etc. it could become a really, really good OS - given time.

In the meantime no need to rush out and buy it, and no need to worry about the GUI if your new computer come with it installed. It's simply a better Windows under a different skin and that skin is not that tough to get through.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Larry:

thanks for the update

I am still reading articles in mags/paper/online that are very negative about Win8

when I am ready I'll check it out

I'm hoping to get a few more years out of my Vista PC's
    now that I am "retired/disabled" and my needs have lessened

I have hired my partner to model my new house in detail

I have done a "sketch" version of the model so I can plan my remodeling projects - permit requirements here are fairly minimal

but now I want a complete accurate model and don't have the "oomph" to get that detailed anymore

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Stay up-to-date

I've found that even if new isn't better, its nearly always "better" to stay new - in the computer world. Problems start to arise for people who try and stay with what they are comfortable with when the rest of the known world moves on.

My partner still likes to use AutoCad 2000 on XP. The rest of the office has had to work around him and its caused a major problem.

Like many people, I am waiting to upgrade to Win8 - as I am buying a new Windows Tablet first to see how I like it.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I say let them work out the major bugs first and wait for sp1
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I kinda wish I needed a new computer to really have a good excuse to upgrade. In fact, I kinda wish I had your computer Perry.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc

The more I use Win 8 the more I like it which is no surprise as anything gets more familiar with time.

For a business, no real reason to upgrade from Win 7, but if you're getting a new computer with Win 8 it takes very little getting used but overall it's pretty good and I don't think it would hurt productivity in a business environment. It feels really stable with a few very nice touches under the hood.

I've gotten rid of all the stock Metro apps and have just the few apps I use 'pinned' to the start screen and I'm liking the OS overall.

I want to say again I'm not running Chief on the computer with Win 8 so I can't say how CA would behave but pretty good impressions overall.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly K View Post
    I kinda wish I needed a new computer to really have a good excuse to upgrade. In fact, I kinda wish I had your computer Perry.
    You don't want mine, I'm looking for a better one, its about time to update. I have old technology now.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Another update (hope this is helping someone).

I tried to use the 'Metro' start page interface and even got a Metro Style app (Chrome specifically) to set up and test. The Metro apps open in a very different fashion and requires mouse 'gestures' with no 'X' to close in the upper right hand corner (like a desktop app) and no way to tear off a browser tab onto another monitor. I tried to get it set up in a way that would work for me but without a touch screen it's not that friendly.

I ended up switching all apps to 'desktop' apps which behave exactly like Win 7 on the desktop and got a free 'Start Button' add-on (there's 5 or 6 good ones out there) which boots to the desktop and has all the start button goodies - just like Win 7.

Bottom line for me is if you ignore the new GUI (which is very easy to do) then Win 8 is very good OS for $39.95. If you want to use a touch screen or a pad I can't really say how well it would work but for my computer and just getting stuff done it's hard to beat the desktop and the 'start' button.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Chief Architect for Macbook Pro 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    At this point we are focused on making a Mac version of Chief....
    Greetings Doug,

I'm ready to invest in the newly released Macbook Pro 2013 and I have saved funds to purchase Chief Architect. I'm apprehensive to purchase Chief for Windows fearful that within a couple months a mac version will be released.

Could you give any indication when the Chief Architect for Mac will be released? I really don't want to partition my new Mac and then pay for Windows OS just so I can run Chief.

I love my Mac and I love Chief, dreaming of the day these two will marry and create beautiful designed buildings all over the world!

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
    Lisa Altizer
    Defined Design

Product:
    Chief Architect Premier X6
    System: Macbook Pro
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM: 16.00 GB
    System Type: OS X

Quote Originally Posted by DefinedDesign View Post
    Greetings Doug,

I'm ready to invest in the newly released Macbook Pro 2013 and I have saved funds to purchase Chief Architect. I'm apprehensive to purchase Chief for Windows fearful that within a couple months a mac version will be released.

Could you give any indication when the Chief Architect for Mac will be released? I really don't want to partition my new Mac and then pay for Windows OS just so I can run Chief.

I love my Mac and I love Chief, dreaming of the day these two will marry and create beautiful designed buildings all over the world!

Eagerly awaiting your reply.

They say it will be the first quarter of 2014. So look for it around January/Feburaryish.
    Jay Wojnas
    X4, X5, & LOL AutoCad R14/2000
    Precision Designs
    http://pdglobal.com