Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    I would like a simplified version of CA for field work which would work on a pad of some sort.
    Agreed Larry.

Chief, able to function in 2D with necessarily limited 3d on tablets, would be great for field work.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this will not be very high on the list @ CA.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Larry:

I agree about the SSA...

CA is aiming for a 12 month cycle

if that starts to slip to 18 - 24 months then SSA starts to lose value rapidly

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    With a range of Windows tablets to be released at the same time as Win8 I think the demand for Chief to run on them will surge. I for one have been putting off buying a tablet in the hope that there will soon have one that will run Chief.

I know that historically there has been a call for Chief on mac but I think this new market will be even bigger. I also like the idea of running Chief on touch screen desktop.

It is interesting that we havent seen a poll to find out what the demand would be.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

There have been tablets available that can run Chief for several years now. Just make sure they are Intel instead of ARM based processors.

The project of supporting Mac is also an overhaul in our user interface. The result will be improved toolbars, better support for multiple monitors and improvements to our dialogs to make them easier to navigate to name a few things.

We have also been keeping our development moving forward in other areas by increasing our staffing to support the porting effort.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    There have been tablets available that can run Chief for several years now. Just make sure they are Intel instead of ARM based processors.

The project of supporting Mac is also an overhaul in our user interface. The result will be improved toolbars, better support for multiple monitors and improvements to our dialogs to make them easier to navigate to name a few things.

We have also been keeping our development moving forward in other areas by increasing our staffing to support the porting effort.
    Brilliant Doug,

Best of luck and looking forward to the New Chief in town.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Doug:

I'm hoping that with the re-coding effort that we can have full access to the API for Ruby scripting along with a script recorder

until then Ruby is of limited use

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I've been running Windows 8 with X5 since X5 was released. I have been running it on a Acer Iconia W500 Tablet. It works great, no issues that I have noticed. The new Microsoft Surface Pro tablet that is coming out in January will probably run Chief even better than the Tablet I'm using. Windows 8 is a great OS. It's basically a better version of win 7. It runs smoother and requires lesser hardware to run well than Win 7 does. Any program that can run on Win 7 should run just fine on Win 8. I've been using the beta versions of Win 8 and I really like it. Win 8 will take some getting used to for the majority of PC users but the features it has are excellent. Win 8 has a lot of really great built in apps. Personally, I like the new UI I think it's intuitive but will just take some getting used to. To me it would be a no brainer to upgrade to a new and better OS for $39.99.
    Chris Anderson

X5
    Desktop:
    Win 7 64 bit
    AMD Phenom II 965 3.6Ghz
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
    16 GB ram
    (2) ATI HD Radeon 5770
    120 GB SSD
    Retina MacBook Pro:
    OS X Mavericks
    Intel i7 2.6GHz - 3.8GHz
    16GB Memory
    512 PCIe SSD
    Nvidia GT 750M 2GB

I am looking to purchase a new computer with a better video card and have a choice between windows 7 & 8 after reading this post I still am not sure which way to go.....what would most people do if this decision was sitting in front of them?
    Thanks all.
    CAX4, X5

I would usually recommend going with the latest OS and getting a PC that was built for that OS

I, personnaly have some doubts about my not liking the Win 8 GUI based on all the negative reviews I have been reading

BUT.... I haven't used it yet either

so it would probably be best if you went somewhere and tried Win 8 and Win 7 and make up your own mind

I'm not in the market for a PC yet and probably won't be for another year or two - I'll decide then

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpark View Post
    I am looking to purchase a new computer with a better video card and have a choice between windows 7 & 8 after reading this post I still am not sure which way to go.....what would most people do if this decision was sitting in front of them?
    Thanks all.
    To me the look and feel of an OS is of very little importance as I do my work in the software app not the OS and I can quickly adapt to any new OS interface.

For that reason I would choose Win 8 because the technology is just another notch above Win 7. Win 8 uses less resources than Win 7, is more secure and has a very clear future mapped in front of it.

The technological differences may not be dramatic in every day use but 8 will be an OS that should last for many, many years.

On the other hand if a new OS GUI is going to distract you and cause you to be less productive then Win 7 will be very familiar and comfortable despite its slightly lesser technology.

And please remember anything that will run Win7 will run Win8 with no problems, there's no good reason to get a new computer to run Win8 if the one you have now runs Win7, unless you're just more comfortable doing so and have extra money to spend on unnecessary hardware.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

And please remember anything that will run Win7 will run Win8 with no problems, there's no good reason to get a new computer to run Win8 if the one you have now runs Win7, unless you're just more comfortable doing so and have extra money to spend on unnecessary hardware.

Larry:

probably so....

but for decades I have recommended a new PC when getting a new OS

I think it is usually a good idea to get a PC built for that OS

can a PC be upgraded - sure can
    just depends on your tolerance for hassle
    and how close the new OS is to the old OS

I would want to study Win 8 in more detail before deciding if a new PC would be "desirable"

after I finish moving this month I will study up on this issue

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Many, probably most, of the tablets that will run Windows 8 are based on the ARM instruction set. Unless the software you want to use is compiled to run on ARM it won't run on those devices.

Currently we have not ported Chief to run on ARM, but we will likely do so at some point.

I've been using Windows 8 for a short time and have found that it is a solid OS. It has some differences in how it works that are important to support tablet based computers. I actually am fairly impressed that Microsoft embraced the idea that tablet and desktop computers don't need different interfaces.

While I think they could have done a better job in a few places to make things easier to use or discover, Windows 8 is actually pretty good. Some things take some getting used to but are actually pretty easy to deal with once you figure them out.

Other things, especially for a very large screen, are harder to use and in some cases just plain annoying. However, for a tablet based computer the interface looks like it will work very well.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I have a windows phone that has a tile interface (7.5) and is supposed to upgrade automatically to 8. So I'm curious to see what changes I will see. Personally I like the tiles, and the price of the new release has me leaning toward upgrading my os from 7 to 8, something I would ordinarily not do.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc

I am reading reviews and agree with the "stunned" opinion that MS didn't allow for a preference setting allowing the user to decide whether to boot into the old or new GUI

with such a setting those use to the old GUI could transition to the new GUI on an as needed basis

I don't have tablets or smartphones and may or may not get them
    at this time I see no need

cramming the new GUI down our throats is not a good marketing idea

this may be the Windows equivalent of "new coke" versus "classic coke"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew,

I thought I read that you did have a choice to use the std interface.???
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5