Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I just spent part of the last 2 days upgrading my beta version of Windows 8 to the release version and am probably going to try to make it my primary development system.

My impressions so far are mixed.

Most of the UI is mainly just a step sideways, but there are a few very nice improvements, like the task manager has not only prettier graphics, but more useful information.

The big annoyances for me at first have been getting to the control panel, application list, and shutting down/restarting the computer.

It is clear that the UI is centered around supporting tablets, which MS really had to do to remain competitive, but at the same time it seems like they kind of ignored the desktop market with the design.

So far I'm not unhappy with it as it seems like everything is still there and works. There is definitely a bigger initial learning curve than with older OS upgrades, or at least it seems that way to me.

Chief is working pretty well on Windows 8. We have one known issue where the wait cursor shows up if you let it sit idle for awhile. This is more an annoyance than a problem with chief. As soon as you move the mouse it goes away.

We will probably have a fix for that in the next update.

Other than that I'm not aware of issues with Chief. Our testing department has been looking at it for awhile.

I'm hearing a lot of the same comments about not upgrading to Windows 8, and honestly I wasn't all that motivated to do so either. If I didn't have a need to do so I probably would have put it off for awhile longer.

I don't see Windows 8 as being significantly incompatible with software, like Vista was, so I'm inclined to think that adoption of this OS will perhaps be better than the naysayers are thinking, but probably not as fast as Windows 7.

Because of the change in UI I suspect that Windows 8 will tend to make migration to a Mac more attractive.

We will not be supporting the ARM Windows 8 processors at this time so most of the tablet options won't run Chief. We will likely move in that direction in the future, but that depends on availability of libraries that we use and demand. Currently the demand is pretty much non-existant and we have some significant libraries that are missing.

In short Windows 8 is appears to be a solid option for Chief so if you want to move in that direction I don't anticipate any significant issues.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Thanks for that in depth review Doug.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

"Because of the change in UI I suspect that Windows 8 will tend to make migration to a Mac more attractive"

With a native version of Mac and Chief ???

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    We will not be supporting the ARM Windows 8 processors at this time so most of the tablet options won't run Chief. We will likely move in that direction in the future, but that depends on availability of libraries that we use and demand. Currently the demand is pretty much non-existant and we have some significant libraries that are missing.
    Doug, perhaps you could elaborate on this point.

I'm fairly certain that some of your current users are going to purchase a tablet running W8, and could be disappointed to find that Chief will not work on the one they get.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Doug
    thanks for the information it was very enli9ghtening. However you state that demand for a tablet application is pretty much non-existent. Have we been asked whether we would use it if available?? I haven't, and probably would be very keen if it were available.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

Quote Originally Posted by kiwideziner View Post
    Doug
    thanks for the information it was very enli9ghtening. However you state that demand for a tablet application is pretty much non-existent. Have we been asked whether we would use it if available?? I haven't, and probably would be very keen if it were available.
    Graeme,

I think that Doug is referring to demand by software developers for programming libraries. Not demand for Chief on tablets.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Currently the demand for Chief on tablets is almost exclusively for iPad.

We expect that to change over time.

At this point we are focused on making a Mac version of Chief that also makes it a lot easier to move to other platforms. Once we have that version we will be focusing more effort on seeing what we can get running on tablets. Look for a beta of our Mac version next fall.

Our efforts will be focused on the larger markets first and then the smaller ones.

Currently the Windows 8 ARM market is almost nonexistent in comparison to other markets, such as iPad and Android, but we do expect it will grow. We just don't know by how much it will grow and our availability of libraries to run on ARM is currently a limiting factor.

Our goal is to be able to move to any of these new platforms very quickly, but we still have quite a bit of work left to get to that point.

Eventually I expect that we will support the Windows 8 ARM platform. But I think we are at least 2 years out on that. We need to finish our Mac effort first.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    At this point we are focused on making a Mac version of Chief that also makes it a lot easier to move to other platforms. Once we have that version we will be focusing more effort on seeing what we can get running on tablets. Look for a beta of our Mac version next fall.....................
    WOW!!! Unexpected but great news. I am all MAC except for my PC which is used for CA.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Exciting....A Macinchief in my future.

This is very exciting news. My mind is spinning. I will be able to save all of my stuff on the ICloud instead of mozy pro. I will also be able to work at home on my home mac if I so choose. And no more of this win7 or win8 troubles. A much more stable OS.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Not sure if I'm excited or bummed that the development efforts will now be split between 2 or more platforms.

I have absolutely no interest in a MAC anything but they're not developing for me. I would like a simplified version of CA for field work which would work on a pad of some sort. An iPad? To me that's just not exciting at all. But if it HAS to be on an iPad I understand that demand will drive these decisions, not my personal preferences.

And doesn't that necessarily mean that features will be put on hold as those company energies drift to develop those other platforms?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Larry:

I agree - hoping Mac development doesn't hurt windows development

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Larry:

I agree - hoping Mac development doesn't hurt windows development

Lew
    ...and what happens to the SSA members - do they just wait that much longer for an update because resources are being redirected - or are resources being added with no discernable down side for current users?

I KNOW these questions have been asked at the offices of CA and the best part of this news is that CA is doing well enough financially to consider such a move.

So far, I think, the company has treated its user base very well and I see no reason to think that will change - unless it changes.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I've been using Win8 for about three weeks now (MSDN early access). X5 has been running great on it. Like Doug mentioned earlier, I've seen the wait cursor show up on occassion when I let the mouse sit but as soon as I move the mouse it goes away.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with it at all in relation to Chief. Things have been very stable and VERY fast. The UI is a bit of a step sideways but it's not so bad that it can't be lived with. Some small annoyances with getting to certain places (like control panel) but it won't break the system for me.
    Kelly H.
    Chief Architect Technical Support Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by kellyh View Post
    I've been using Win8 for about three weeks now (MSDN early access). X5 has been running great on it. Like Doug mentioned earlier, I've seen the wait cursor show up on occassion when I let the mouse sit but as soon as I move the mouse it goes away.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with it at all in relation to Chief. Things have been very stable and VERY fast. The UI is a bit of a step sideways but it's not so bad that it can't be lived with. Some small annoyances with getting to certain places (like control panel) but it won't break the system for me.
    Thanks Kelly

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic