Threaded View

Part 2

The main reason I upgraded was because I had read that Win 8 was simply a better, more efficient OS and my old machine was getting a bit tired and I thought that for $39 I'd give it a try. So far no dramatic increase in performance but it has a very stable feel, just like what it is - a better Win7.

Should you upgrade from Win 7? I wouldn't unless you feel like playing with your computer and/or feel like the latest technology is important. (Or you have another compelling reason to get a new OS for $40 which is what I did and now I have a Win 7 license I can put on another computer, short version of a long story)

If you buy a new computer though, do not, and I repeat do not, worry about the interface (Lew ) It's a very simple trip from start to the desktop and there's even a program that duplicates and enhances the old 'Start' menu for $4.99

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Overall it's a pretty impressive OS that might be a little before its time. With more Win 8 apps, and porting to multiple devices i.e. tablets, phones etc. it could become a really, really good OS - given time.

In the meantime no need to rush out and buy it, and no need to worry about the GUI if your new computer come with it installed. It's simply a better Windows under a different skin and that skin is not that tough to get through.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic