Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

creating new stone arched entryway

Is there a way to rotate a primitives cylinder on its side? I have an entry way with receding arches toward the front door and I thought the best way to model it would be to place a huge primitives block and then difference out the arches with cylinders for the tops of the arches and primitive cubes or rectangles for the lower part of the arched openings. I have at least three different arched stone ceilings in the same general area outside of the front door. I did a print screen of the 3D full overview but it came out to be 15MB file size in .bmp so I could not send an image of what I'm talking about. BTW, any suggestions on how to make a smaller image of the screen capture? Of course, I am much more concerned with modeling the entry to this very large house.
    I am pretty new to Chief.
    Thanks.

mp.....

Try tiling your plan image with your 3d image side x side (vertically) ... then select your image screen and put your cursor on one of the corners of the screen and drag it toward the center ... while doing this, watch the pixel size of the image screen in the task bar ... bottom right. I usually use a screen size of about 640 x 480 for posting on ChiefTalk. Hope this works as I am having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to accomplish.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    mp.....

Try tiling your plan image with your 3d image side x side (vertically) ... then select your image screen and put your cursor on one of the corners of the screen and drag it toward the center ... while doing this, watch the pixel size of the image screen in the task bar ... bottom right. I usually use a screen size of about 640 x 480 for posting on ChiefTalk. Hope this works as I am having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to accomplish.
    Thank you but I don't really understand. I did a print-screen and then opened up Microsoft Picture Editor as I don't really have any other options for opening up the image except Micorsoft Word. How do you mean, "drag it toward the center?"

Quote Originally Posted by mpolka View Post
    BTW, any suggestions on how to make a smaller image of the screen capture?
    Use the windows snipping tool to take a jpg picture of your screen...you can then write on it also to point to the exact problem area to help us see the issue at hand.( I just posted a question using the tools a moment ago). Then you upload the jpg to the forum.

Very handy.
    Ivan Cyr

CA X5
    HP i7 Dual Quad Core 2.3GHz
    8GB Ram
    1GB GEFORCE GT 630M Video Card
    Win 7 64bit
    ivanatwork@sympatico.ca

You have this question running in two threads.
    See one possible approach here.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

jpg and stone entry image

Quote Originally Posted by ivancyr View Post
    Use the windows snipping tool to take a jpg picture of your screen...you can then write on it also to point to the exact problem area to help us see the issue at hand.( I just posted a question using the tools a moment ago). Then you upload the jpg to the forum.

Very handy.
    Use the what-now? Windows snipping tool? What and where is it?
    Thank you.

stone entry way and horizontal cylinders

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    You have this question running in two threads.
    See one possible approach here.
    Yes, is that not allowed?

If you're using Win7 just type "Snipping Tool" in the Windows Search box. It should subsequently be in your "Start Menu". In Prion versions of Windows you can search for "Snippit" I believe.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I think you could do the arch using the following:

1. For the Arched Opening just use a Molding Profile for the "Casing" and set the Casing Material to Stone.
    2. For the Extension back to the actual Door use a Ceiling Plane (arched) and set the Ceiling Material to Stone.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Another option would be to create 2 Primitive Solid Cylinders - one a little smaller than the other and subtract the smaller from the larger. This will result in a tube/pipe. You can then place another solid (Box) so that it bisects the Tube - Subtract the box from the Tube and you now have a "Barrel Vault" which can be used as your Archway.

I find using the Primitive Solids with the "Boolean" tools quite handy.
    Windows 8.1

Joe,
    I posted a video in the other thread showing a way to do this by drawing a polyline in elevation then converting it to a psolid with the desired depth.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by moak View Post
    Joe,
    I posted a video in the other thread showing a way to do this by drawing a polyline in elevation then converting it to a psolid with the desired depth.
    More than one way to "Skin a Cat"
    Windows 8.1

stone archway

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    More than one way to "Skin a Cat"
    Thanks to Joe C and KM. I am in process of trying the polyliine version. My lines keep going behind the elevation. I will get back to you with the verdict.

----MJP

MJP

Attached are a few images of a porch I created using walls with arched doorways with the casing suppressed. This is very easy to do. I like using polyline solids in some cases as well. For this example I also did the porch ceiling with 3 manually placed ceiling planes with the center one being a barrell vault that is about the same curvature as the main doorway arch. This is also pretty easy to do but not quite as fast as using a polyline solid.

Also attached is an image of what I was trying to suggest with my first post. Just take an image of anything in your plan; then click on Window in the top menu bar > Tile Vertically > click and drag on a corner of the image as shown and watch the size of the image (in pixels) change as you drag the mouse inward toward the center. You can post any size you want as long as it doesn't exceed ChiefTalk's maximum size restrictions (200Kb's for .jpg's). Larger images are easier for us to look at as compared to posting a very small image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArchedPorchwBarrellClg.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	55195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArchedPorchFrontElev.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	55197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArchedPorchBarrellClgXSec.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	55198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArchedPorchResizeImage.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	55199  
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

If you need framing with that, you can also do it with ceiling planes
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor