raytrace with dentil molding

I have run into this problem in the past, but does anyone have a suggestion for raytacing with dentil? I have it on the exterior of a home, and all the ins and outs create ALOT of surfaces and it hangs up the raytracer.

Any insight would be appreciated. The plan is in the beginning stages, and needs a lot of work, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jason Parsons
    Design Build Pros

jparsons@designbuildpros.com

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600k
    OC to 4.7 GHz
    Dual GTX 580 Video-SLI
    Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
    16 GB DDR3 ram 1866
    128 GB SSD
    Win 7 Pro-64 Bit
    X-5

Just a thought, but perhaps try to find or create and use a dentil texture instead and see how that looks.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

When you get the exterior the way you want, you could convert the model to a symbol, which will take a little while, but when it is done, you can place the symbol in a new plan, and 'Trace away quite quickly.

--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trace.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	55245  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Or put the dentil moulding on a separate layer. Take a 3D shot of the house, turn off all layers except the dentil mould, then export to .3ds and then import as a symbol. Then just align it with the house.
    Aaron D.

President
    AMD Drafting, LLC
    Lubbock, Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/amddrafting
    www.vintagetownship.com
    X3

Quick question. Why does changing to a symbol speed up the ray tracing??
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    Quick question. Why does changing to a symbol speed up the ray tracing??
    That is a great question my friend. I would of thought there was just as many faces. I did try to do a raytrace of the project, and I think my 'puter ran out of memory. I could not get past the part where the program was processing for the raytrace. I did not try to turn it into a symbol.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Not that I questioned Dave or Aaron (well actually I did), but I tested it and they are correct. Turn the DENTIL FRIEZE (which is on the trim layer) to a symbol and it works much much faster. Thanks Dave and Aaron, I would of never guessed.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

This is an interesting problem. That particular Dentil Molding has 16 surfaces and it's repeated several thousand times in this model. A Ray-
    Trace has to evaluate every surface in the model for reflections, shadows, etc.

The number of surfaces doesn't effect the normal Render View with Pan and Zoom because of "Instancing" and how that's handled by the GPU. OTOH, Ray Traces are CPU bound and since each surface must be processed to determine it's effect on the Shadows and Reflections to other surfaces you get almost a geometric increase in the time the Ray Trace will take. The more cores, memory and cpu speed the better but it's still going to take a lot of time.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Yep, tested again with my own model, much quicker to turn the frieze into a symbol. Interesting.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,

Once you created a symbol form the Frieze, how many surfaces were in that symbol? Maybe it's because the Dentil Molding has both inside and outside surfaces while the Frieze Symbol has only exterior surfaces and all the contiguous, co-planar surfaces become just one surface. ie: those surfaces are merged into single surfaces.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

Once you created a symbol form the Frieze, how many surfaces were in that symbol? Maybe it's because the Dentil Molding has both inside and outside surfaces while the Frieze Symbol has only exterior surfaces and all the contiguous, co-planar surfaces become just one surface. ie: those surfaces are merged into single surfaces.
    The FRIEZE SYMBOL has 201847 faces................ ouch.............. I do not know how many the FRIEZE MOLDING had
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    The FRIEZE SYMBOL has 201847 faces................ ouch.............. I do not know how many the FRIEZE MOLDING had
    Probably at least 600000 but maybe more. IAE, each surface has to be checked against every other surface in a Ray Trace.

200000 x 200000 = 40 billion checks
    600000 x 600000 = 360 billion checks

But that doesn't account for all the other surfaces in the model nor for processing reflections off of other surfaces.
    Windows 8.1