Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    I downloaded the couch from 3D Warehouse and imported it into Chief. It was created in SketchUp and contains many more faces than the models that come with Chief, so I believe that is why so many extra lines are generated. Most of the Chief furniture have flat planes which reduce the number of faces, but as a result they look boxy in 3D. The render view version of the couch looks great. Again, one of those trade-offs.
    -------------------------------------------
    Rob Aldecocea
    Revolution Design and Build
    Wayzata, MN

Chief X5
    Windows 7
    i7-3930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    ASUS Sabertooth X79

Quote Originally Posted by rongobong View Post
    I downloaded the couch from 3D Warehouse and imported it into Chief.
    Take a look at some of the CA sofas that have pillows on them. The pillows are not flat or boxy and they look correct in watercolor mode BUT no lines at all.

So perhaps CA is aware of this issue and creates its models in some way that attempts to minimize the visual problems.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

Thanks Frederick, I agree that there are many furniture models native to Chief that look better in this type of render. However, my situation was constrained by the fact that the client owns a sectional and Chief has nothing in the library that was even close in size or proportion. Re-sizing the Chief models available created a less than desirable result for me.
    I actually like the ability to import models from other programs, like SketchUp, so I am okay with the tradeoff of the excess lines. I could also take care of removing the lines in post with Photoshop or something, but that's just a question of time available and cost versus benefit.
    Thanks for the insight though - CA has come a long way and has some really awesome library objects available.
    -------------------------------------------
    Rob Aldecocea
    Revolution Design and Build
    Wayzata, MN

Chief X5
    Windows 7
    i7-3930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    ASUS Sabertooth X79

I think when it comes to the "crisp" argument, I've noticed that a line drawn with Chief Architect has a bullnose on each end, not a square edge. With heavier line weights, it makes the drawings look cartoon-like, and less crisp in my opinion.
    I have always wondered about this too, and this is the first time I think I have ever seen this mentioned on this forum. This is the kind of specifics that the folk at CA need to know about. It's the kind of thing you should send a bug report into the support team on.

As far as your couch, I have noticed this issue too and it seems very intermittent. I will sometimes see this happen even in flat walls that are native to Chief. Then if I close, re-open, and take the same view, they disappear, or not. So, there is some kind of intermittent bug I think in the 3D generation.

I still think you can go quite a long ways toward automating the line weight generation through layers and layer sets with just a little CAD overlay and Edit Layout cleanup. And this is limited to vector views and I agree should also transfer to the render views. Not perfect, but certainly worth the trade-off to me for speed and the ability to try different things in the design, rather than fuss with minutiae in the drawing.
    Last edited by sutcac; 09-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

I actually like the ability to import models from other programs, like SketchUp, so I am okay with the tradeoff of the excess lines
    Perhaps if you contacted CA they might know how to make models in SketchUp where the lines would show/not show as desired, which seems to be the case in their models.

Nothing to lose by asking.

I think CA could use to review how Sketchup deals with lines overall. You can turn on and off profile lines, set any line to be invisible or grey'd out - or to be a specific profile line. All that stays with the model until you change it otherwise. That way if you are in sketchup and you want to create an "elevation" (2D) it will continue to show whatever line setting you had.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

Here is an example of the profile line (sketchup) on a project I am working on now. You cant see it on the larger view, but notice up-close - there is a nice drk line where the profile line should be. I can set that profile line's thickness, color - etc.

FYI, this is a model in production - not finished. I will need to make invisable some lines on the roof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchup_house.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	55230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchup_house2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	55231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000111.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	55237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	55238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	55239  

X5
    Wacom 24HD

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Here is an example of the profile line (sketchup) on a project I am working on now. You cant see it on the larger view, but notice up-close - there is a nice drk line where the profile line should be. I can set that profile line's thickness, color - etc.

FYI, this is a model in production - not finished. I will need to make invisable some lines on the roof.

Very Nice. Well Done

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Too many roof planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ravenscroft View Post
    Very Nice. Well Done
    Thank you. I actually think CA could do a better job with many parts of this model, I just think the profile line weight is better in sketchup.

As you can see there are some lines on the roof that need to be set to invisable.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

John, Im so interested in what this model would like displayed with vectorworks like the previous elevations you posted on this thread. Im interested to see how vectorworks handles this elevation display with all these complicated details.

Another fantastic elevation, looks fantastic!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5

I just downloaded and review the new VectorWorks 2013. I'll tell you, CA has had, and still holds, a lead in the BIM (Residential / Light Commercial), but other apps such as Vectorworks are catching up quick.

The recommendation for CA to improve their 2D and visual aspects may be a necessity as other apps get closer to CA in the 3D field. All the apps are making stronger 3D BIM. If CA doesn't polish their software things can change for them real quick.
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Here are a few more things I have thought of that we have primarily done in Vectorworks. I love the way VW handles images and mapping of those images within a line drawing can result in great "hand" drawn CAD drawings.

The "gardens" drawing was something used several revisions ago by Vectorworks Co. for product literature on what their software can do. I show the 3 drawings - 2D Elevation, 3D Model, and 2D color rendering (done in Vectorworks with image mapping).

What is so great is that once you have the resource in the file, you can use it over and over again - trees etc.

Name:	vw_rendering.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	55246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	55247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypress_gardens_elevations.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	55248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gardens_model.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	55249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gardens_back.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	55250  

X5
    Wacom 24HD

The rest... I show the floor plans to explain the design - it is a 4 plex with courtyards. FYI the first drawing that looks like 100% hand drawn is not. Id say its 90% Vectorworks and 10% photoshop. In fact you can see on the right side there is a tree where the mask wasn't done perfectly (against the house). Vectorworks just deals with images very well, and the mapping of images/textures on a 2D surface.

Name:	cypress_gardens_color.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	55251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypress_gardens_fp1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	55252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypress_gardens_upper.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	55253  
    X5
    Wacom 24HD

Very nice work indeed. I would love to have the kind of control over lines that you describe which results in very distinct clear elevations. I would also love the addition of shadows to the elevations...helps give a sense of depth that many homeowners don't understand with 2d views.

I am on the Design Review Board of the busiest City (permit wise) in the Phoenix area. We require shadows on every project presented: commercial or residential. The line weights are a big pare of that presentation as well. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of drawings presented between each project. Drawings that are well presented often get less scrutiny and those that look less professional leave us wondering if the effort was put forward to create a great product for our city. These are the kinds of drawings we love to see presented to us as we can tell the Architect took care in creating and presenting his project and therefore will finish it in the same manor.

Thank you for your efforts and time in presenting your thoughts on this software. I love when new professionals come on board to help explain the shortcomings. It is new eyes that are needed. I sincerely hope that Chief Architect takes seriously all of your comments as I would welcome 'all' the requests/changes you describe.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook