Threaded View

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    I do agree that it would be great if Chief were to reach out to the professional market a little more than they have in the past.

I am not so sure that you, or the folks you are refering to actually know what Chief is capable of currently. I have attached a pic of some roof and wall framing that I did last week with Chief Framing, Solids, and imported Symbols.

I did this with Chief solids just to see what I could do. Also the model is not completed yet. My take on working with Chief's Solids is that it is kind of like trying to grab a stuffed toy with one of those claw things. The actual tools are impressive, but the user interface is very cumbersome.

From my point of view, Chief has some very powerful tools that are not being developed to their full potential from what I can tell. No argument from me that the CAD tools and dimensioning could stand a bit of polish.

Hopefully this discussion will help to shed some light on the opportunity for Chief and it's customers if it were to take these matters seriously. It appears to me that with X5 they are moving in that direction.

Edit: I just remembered something I read that was published by Autodesk a few years back. They were saying that 90 percent of their users only utilized 10 percent of the capabilties of the program. To me that indicates that most professionals are using basic 2D tools for the most part, 3D is just too complicated. It appears to me that Chief could stand to make inroads into that market by nothing more than improving their CAD tools. The 3D capabilities of Chief would be a very strong motivator to change horses, but probably not without strong CAD tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Framing, Solids, and Symbols.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	55146  
    Last edited by rcole; 09-14-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5